svt-410hlf vs Mesa 4 x 10...(subtitle svt-410hlf and low B)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by hamder, Jan 9, 2006.

1. Hi,

Amp: SVT4-Pro.
    Bass: Roscoe Beck V

Currently own a Mesa 4 x 10 road ready cab rated at 600w. I have had this cab for 7-8 years and have
    been quite pleased with it.

However the cab has IMO a pronounced middle and has always taken quite some EQ to get a decent bottom,
    whats worse is that the middle seems to project really bad in front of the loadspeaker so that even when I think
    I have it set up firm and round, there seem to be a really harsh mid punch out 5 meters or so in front of it...:(
    (Is this just a property of 4 X 10 we have to live with ?)

Recently tried a SVT410-hlf with SVT3-pro and SVT4-pro at a Gutiar Center Ampeg wall and the sound was
    instantly right (for me) no matter what bas I plugged in. Of all the ampeg cabs I think the HLF really shinned
    with only one other contender, the fridge, which is out of the question for size.

I am very tempted to switch my trusted Mesa with the HLF, but is anyone here able to help me with a
    comparison of the two ?

The Mesa has always impressed me volume wise, though the sound will get even more "middy" with volume
    making the high volume less useful , how would the HLF (rated 500/1000 watts) compare to the
    Mesa (rated 600 watts) volume wise ?

How is the projection of the HLF, nice to have tons of bottom when standing next to it, but will it project well ?

Finally how is the low B on the HLF, ampeg has the range listed as 48 hz - 18 khz which, on paper, does
    not seem to be low enough for the B, any HLF-B String-user care to comment ?

2. AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    I haven't played the Mesa, but I've never heard anything bad about them, I do know about Ampeg, the 410HLF is one of their best selling cabs, I had one, I have a PR410HLF now, from the people I've talked to the HLF has better low end than even the 810 although they say the 810 has better all round sound, and I play a 5 string and have no problem w/ the low B at all. The SVT only handle 500 watts although they say it will handle 1000 watts peak, I won't go by that. The PR handles 600 and is built like a tank, has better speakers and quicker response and a litte wider Freq. range. You might consider one of those used.
  3. I have an SVT 410 HLF. I play 6 string, and the low B is well defined, and sounds great! It handles the lows better than any other 410 I have ever played (albeit a limited selection). I wouldn't worry about the HLF's low range, though.
  4. Thx,

Great to know it can take a B...

I take pride in getting as much gear as possible secondhand, but these cabs are very
    rare secondhand here where I live (Denmark, Europe) so the SVT will have to do if I
    have to pick it up as new...

Afraid to admit it though, I did actually like the sound of the Svt over the PRO when I tried it :oops: ,
    hope it doesn't change to much with volume...
  5. chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    I would keep the Mesa and add the SVT. If that doesnt get you a round sound with deep bass for the B, I dont know what will.
  6. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    I have an SVT 410 HLF. Bought it here at TB used.

It sounds very good. I use it with my old SVT 200-T. 350 RMS @ 4 ohms. It sounds great together. It is certainly the best sounding Ampeg cabinet I have ever played as far as using it with a five string. i have owned a bunch of Ampeg cabs including a 410, 210, 115 (pair) and even the 810. the HLF is my favorite for sure. Very Ampegish with a fuller bottom end.

We just finished a live worship CD and recorded everything with the above mentioned Ampeg rig and my Q5. One line of DI out of the back of the Ampeg and a mic (EV RE20) crammed slightly off-axis in from of that cab. I thought the bass tone was huge. TB's own Vic has heard the CD. If this thread passes his way, he may be able to comment on the sound.

I also have a set of Edens and a WT-500 head. Overall, I prefer the Eden rig, but there is something about that Ampeg that makes me happy.

I will say that I don't think the Ampeg is particularly efficient. If you really want good bottom end and high volume, you will need plenty of headroom. Two 8-ohm Eden 210XLTs are noticably louder and fatter than the HLF using the same head at the same settings.
  7. If you only want to use one cab the HLF is pretty good. It has alot of low end for a 410. I hav'nt played through the mesa so I can't really compare. I own the ampeg, had it for about 2 years, and have been playing an Ibanez SR505 through it and the low B sounds really clean. The only thing is the ampeg is a 4 ohm cab, so if you ever wanted to add smore speakers you might be out of luck. If I were you I would put a 15 under your mesa.

or maybe even an 18 for some CRAZY LOWS!!!
  8. chaosMK
    Keeping it is ertainly an option I have considered, not to use them together, to big
    and to much carrying but because I am a bit sentimental with the Mesa it really is a
    nice cab, just a little to mid-tone for me.

problem is in the funding as usual though, wife has a list and my new cab is not
    at the bottom; it's entirely missing...:crying:

The HLF was also my favorite of all of the cabs when I tried it on the GC ampeg walls.
    SVT4-Pro should drive it nicely I think.

Thought a little about adding a 15, but just to much lugage.....your probably right
    though an 18 would probably be really sweet......hmmm

Thanks for your inputs, think I am settled. If I can get the Mesa sold at the right price I'll go
    for the HLF. Otherwise I'll wait a bit, find the money still go for the HLF and have both :)
  9. This is a great thread as I've been looking at this cab pretty close recently. It seems to be a good match for what I'm looking for.

It will be used in a rock/blues/gospel setting and probably paired with an SVT-4 PRO.

Anyone have pics of their HLF they could post?
  10. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Have you checked out any other cabs besides the Ampeg? What other cabs are avalible to check out? I've never played the Mesa 410, but I liked the 810 I plugged into. I can't say I like any Ampeg cabs loaded with 10s, but their 15s are good.