Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SVT-4PRO: 2 0hms?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassteban, Dec 1, 2004.

1. I looked at the Ampeg site & it's not clear to me- does the SVT-4pro go down to 2 ohms?

2. Ncognito

Ncognito Banned Commercial User

Jan 8, 2002
    Hoffman Estates, Illinois
    Owner, Xsonics Bass Cabinets
    Yes, but only in stereo mode. When you bridge the amp, 4 ohms is maximum.

3. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    Correct.

Each channel of the SVT-4PRO can drive a 2 ohm load.

When in bridge mode, with a 4 ohm load, each channel is effectively driving half of the load, and still "sees" a 2 ohm "effective" load.

That is why you see in anyone's specifications that the bridge load minimum is double the minimum "per channel" load.

4. Does that mean I'd have to put a stereo or at least 2 mono channels in, or does it split a mono signal into left & right?

5. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    I'm not sure what exactly you are asking.

It isn't so much about inputs, it's more about the speaker load.

If you connect separate speakers per channel, you can go down to 2 ohms on each channel (2 x 4 ohm speakers, or 4 x 8 ohm speakers in parallel).

If you connect a single speaker in the mono connector setup, you can use 4 ohms (2 x 8 ohm speakers or 4 x 16 ohm speakers in parallel).

The mono switch just re-connects the inputs TO THE POWER AMP so that the channels are driven out of phase. That is correct for a single speaker in mono connection. It has nothing to do with the preamp section.

You COULD connect separate speakers per channel with switch set to mono, but the speakers would be out of phase. You'd have to handle that to get decent sound. It wouldn't bother the amp though.

6. That answers it- I think I should have said 'signals' where I said 'channels'. Thanks