1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SVT-4PRO Mid range to boxy

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MissTheTrain, Aug 7, 2012.

1. MissTheTrain

MissTheTrain

May 11, 2012
    I have looked through all of the 4-pro threads and every where I go most people are saying to leave the dials knobs flat or use the manual setting to get the SVT tone. My problem is I have to cut my mid knob all the way down to get my sound to not be boxy sounding. I play this through a 610HLF with the tweeter off and a MIM Fender Jazz with the bridge pickup on all the way and neck pickup about halfway . Even turning the mid knob a quarter of the way up makes my sound boxy. Has anyone else experienced this with there 4-pro. I don't want to be the mid scoop guy but this is what sounds best with my rig. It also sounds to boxy with my Spector Q4.

2. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    First off, forget that silly "flat knobs" nonsense. For some it works. For some it doesn't. If that's what you have to do to get the sound you want, then go for it. Personally, I think it's the bridge pickup being favored that causes it more than the amp since the Jazz sounds kind of mid scoopy to me with both pickups on full, but some people do like the bridge pickup being favored so I'll just say that if that's what it takes to get the sound you like, so be it and don't give a second's thought to what anyone else does, especially other bass players.

3. you'll find many many threads on here about not scooping your mids, there are several good reasons why, but the fact is, if thats how you want your bass to sound then thats the way you should play it. There is nothing actually wrong with doing so, it's just a certain flavour of icecream that isn't as popular as the others

4. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    I don't see our OP as scooping mids...I see him as trying to dial out the extra mids he's getting by favoring the bridge pickup.

Besides, I think we need to give up this idea that mid scooping is inherently bad. If that was the case, a lot of popular amps that a lot of bassists like to set with the knobs at noon wouldn't be sold.

5. MissTheTrain

MissTheTrain

May 11, 2012
    Well even with the mids scooped I still sit in the mix. I do favor the bridge pickup mainly because it gives me the grit sound. Idk but from what I hear coming through with all the knobs flat with "my setup" I can't believe anyone would like it. Different stokes for different folks I guess.

6. I would tend to agree with Jimmy though about favouring the bridge pickup. try the amp set flat with both pickups on full and then work the amp eq from there, you might have better luck finding your tone from there...

7. thats exactly what the rest of my post says... that there is nothing wrong with scooping mids from a tonal perspective, but there are technical reasons as to why it will reduce your volume and lead to you pushing your amp and cab harder to be able to hear yourself as well as a flat tone in the mix.

Sometimes depending on the band or the song, a scooped tone is the right tone for the mix, I can't argue that :D

8. MissTheTrain

MissTheTrain

May 11, 2012
    The music I play is a mix between indy rock, reggae, and funk with a little pop thrown in there. I will try both pickups on full and eq from there and see what I come up with. I'm trying to eq with my ears and not my eyes and my ears tell me to cut the mids...

9. Do what sounds best to you, thats what is most important, no matter what the science says at the end of the day.

10. MissTheTrain

MissTheTrain

May 11, 2012
    Thanks guys! So Jimmy you are saying that the bridge pickup is very mid range sounding? So me cutting out the mids on my amp I still have mids because of the bridge pickup?

11. yeah thats what he is saying :)

the jazz bass is actually a bit scooped with both pickups on full

12. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Ya, that's exactly what I'm saying. When I play a Jazz with the setting you use on yours, it immediately puts me in the mind of Jaco Pastorius, who had quite a middy sound.