SVT-4Pro No Vibe! No 'Mojo' !!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bonafide, Oct 30, 2002.

1. Bonafide

Oct 15, 2002
    2 weeks agao I bought the SVT-3Pro head with the SVT-HLF410 cab. Wow. That was a beautiful sounding rig. Extremely juicy and punchy with plenty of growl or top end silk.
    Problem I had was that it was slightly underpowered. Not radically underpowered but it would have been perfect at about 600 watts.
    I returned it to the store and upgraded to the SVT-4Pro. So now after after 4 days, I am getting more and more dissapointed in the tone. The 4 Pro has the power to spare but the tone is gone :(

I have heard that the 4Pro and the HLF 410 are not a good combo. I have to agree though I think most of the trouble is with the 4Pro.

I Have heard that the 4Pro does well with 6X10 cab. Which is rated at 8 ohms and is more of a 'short throw' cab. Less bass response than the 410 but a better match.

I COULD get the SVP but which power amp? I have heard that crest and mackie are my 2 best choices for 'tone' power. Any input would be helpful.

This 4Pro is heading back to the store.
  2. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    I truly envy the rig you are building with the exception of carrying it. The HLF is fantastic.

I owned an SVT3-pro and have played the SVT4-pro many times through that same cab. I didn't notice a big difference in tone, but you're right - the power makes a big difference.

I am now doing the pre/power thing and I highly recommend it. It's really not going to cost you signficantly more than the SVT4-pro and will be lighter and more versatile.

In your shoes, I would probably do:

* QSC 1602 or 2402 for $600-$800
    * Ampeg SVP-pro $500-$600 (new)

You might also consider other preamps. I like Ampeg tone too, but I ended up with the Aguilar 659 preamp. A little cleaner and tube-y-er, but the kind of the same vibe.

IMO, the SVT3/4 pro's aren't good buys...
  3. Bonafide

Oct 15, 2002
    Hey CW,

Why don't you think the 3 or 4 pro's are a good buy? Just curious. They seem to hold thier value really well.
    I purchased my SVT-4Pro New in the Box for $948.00 I have seen them on Ebay for $1000.00

Are you talking about reliability? This is my first Ampeg rig though I have many professional Bass playing friends who have given me thier best advice.

I looked at the Demeter pre's, about $600 new. Heard ONLY great things about them.

Today I kept the 4 Pro and upgraded to the 6x10 cab. Instant improvment. The low end 'rumble' is gone and the mid range 'hump' is gone. It is by far a better match for the 4 Pro. I was wrong, the 6x10 cab is rated at 4ohms.
    The speakers themselves are heavier and rated at 600w which suits that head better. I can actually use the 'ultra low' switch and it sounds good.

Thanks for the input, I appreciate it.
  4. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    I should qualify my statement. I am very sensitive to a rig's weight....hence, I don't own an HLF.

The SVT3-pro is way underpowered and IMO sounds like pooh with a 4 ohm load (distortion). This is a well-known "feature"

The SVT4-pro doesn't seem to have the same 4 ohm load thing, but for me it's HEAVY. Isn't it like 42 lbs or something? It's not a bad unit overall, but I would prefer to get a good power amp and SVT-pro or other (flexibility) and have a lighter rig with more power for the same $. You could do a new QSC1602/SVP thing for ~$1100. I think the price you paid for the SVT-4 is really good, btw.

That being said, if you don't mind the weight and the 4-pro fits your needs - nothing wrong w/ the choice. Very reliable and the true ampeg sound.
  5. Bonafide

Oct 15, 2002
    Thanks again.
    Yes that 4P is heavy. Not my first choice for that very reason. Unfortunately I had to jump from a 450w rig to 1600w rig :rolleyes: Perhaps Ampeg will make something in the 600 range someday.
    Wouldn't a power amp (600-1200w) and the SVP in a rack be about as heavy?

Believe it or not, the 6x10 HLF is EASIER to move than the 410HLF. It is the same weight, but has 'skid rails' and isn't as deep.

Honestly I don't like the fact that I am forced to use such heavy gear but I need what I need right now.

Thanks again.
  6. thetaurus

May 28, 2002
    Muncy, PA
    i got an svp pro and qsc rmx 850 (both used but in great condition) for a total of $500. my four space roto rack is real heavy, but completely worth it in my opinion. besides...if i wasn't using this, i'd be using an svt 2 pro, or an svt-cl. they're both heavy too. anyway...the svp with a qsc plx shouldn't be too heavy. but like i said about the svp...the tone makes it completely worth carrying around a power amp.