Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

svt 4pro peak light

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jari Kurri, Mar 7, 2005.

1. Jari Kurri

Jari Kurri

Jul 24, 2000
    denver, co
    I'm playing through an Ampeg SVT-4pro that I've had forever and am happy with, but I have a question about the peak light. Recently I started playing with a new band that's louder and more agressive than I've been playing with in the past. I've started playing with a pick (using a passive P bass) and I noticed that I have to crank the gain way down and I'm still lighting the peak light a fair amount. I'm not using a lot of eq (bass and low mids boosted a bit, graphic EQ is off, Ultra low switch is off) and I'm not using the compressor either. The thing is, I dig the slightly distorted tone I'm getting when I play hard with this setup, but am I going to fry my amp or speakers soon by doing this?

2. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    It's Ok for peak light to light....meaning the one by the input and gain control.

If you adjust master for whatever level you need, you will be fine amp-wise, even if the preamp gets a bit "growly".

The speakers do see more power with slightly distorted vs totally clean sound. How much more depends on how distorted it is, and how far you turn up. Probably you are fine, if your speakers are reasonably matched to the amp-power-wise, meaning 1/3 to 1/2 amp power minimum.

The more distorted and the more you turn up, the more important it is to not wildly over-power the speakers. If you play loud industrial punk, you definitely will get more power out than the average jazz or country player. And, in that case, I would NOT recommend speakers rated at "rms" less than about half the amp power.

This has been covered a few times, so you might do a search on speaker power ratings, etc. There are other opinions.

3. I'm actually having the same problem. I'm running a Passive setup into my SVT-4 PRO, and even if I've got the gain turned ALL the way down, the Peak light still illuminates. My active bass doesn't do this, so it must be an issue with the passive bass itself, but I have yet to find an answer. It's tough to find an appropriate setting for the Gain, since the Peak is flashing at any level.

Any help would be much appreciated.

4. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    The peak light isn't precise. It should light some, if you want the least noise, but if it lights more, that isn't a problem...if the sound is what you want.

If you are happy with the growl you get, don't worry about it.

If it bugs you, put in the pad or stick a piece of tape over the light. The pad will attenuate the input and reduce the level into the preamp.

The key word may be "pick". Picks will increase peak output a bit.

5. Funkengrooven

Funkengrooven Turn it down? You gotta be nuts!!

Does the SVT-Pro watch the peak pre or post eq?
    My SWR watches post eq and I never set the amp up the way they recommend anyway.
    I run the master WFO and just bring up the input to where I want it, the preamp peak never lights because I ain't nowhere near peaking the preamp.
    but what I do get is instantaneous peaks which I really dig.
    Zero to max gets it. I have lots of headroom so the amp doesn't peak out either unless I get the input gain up too high. At that point everyone's ears are bleeding anyway and it's too ****ing loud. And the limiter is off too, I hate limiters for bass....

6. Aslong as the peak light is just flashing it is ok, if it stays on all the time then its bad, i think

7. Post.

I'm of the camp that sets the Input to where the Peak light will lightly flash on strong signals, and adjust the Master from there. Maybe I'll try the "Max the Master/Adjust the Input" technique, but overloading the circuit is a definite worry of mine. Do you have a Limit light on the SWR? Is it on all the time?

But you're basically saying that there's nothing wrong with my bass? I just don't think that the Peak light should be flashing when the Input level is completely dialed out. Oh, and I don't use a pick.

8. rok51

rok51

Sep 2, 2002
    Crawfordville, FL
    I set mine to blink occasionally during 'normal' passages and adjust the overall volume with the master. Seems easier to adjust my tone from smooth to aggressive by how hard I dig when I'm at this gain level.

Kim

9. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    Actually, BOTH pre and post, and post the graphic also. So that no matter how the eq is set up, it will detect the highest level, cut, boost, whatever.