Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SVT-4PRO Popping noise

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JAT, Jan 10, 2006.

1. JAT

JAT

Jan 10, 2006
    I run a svt-4pro with the 8X10E cabinet, running it mono-bridged w/ speakons, and play a standard 4-string jazz bass, and now when i have my amp up loud enough and really lay into a note my speakers make a pop in response to the note i'm playing, typically on open notes... I have the amp up at a decent level, I'am not even clipping the amp when this happens and the clip LED isn't coming on either when this happens, could this be bad preamp tubes or is the svt-4pro just to much power for the 8X10, or blown speakers?

Also when i depress the -15db pad, this doesn't happen, but i don't have active pickups, so why should i have to use that, and compromise my tone...also does the -15db pad affect the direct out cause i don't want to not be heard while playing live if the club is using a D.I. box...

thanks so much in advance for any input

JAMES

2. 8mmOD

8mmOD

Mar 20, 2005
    USA
    I endorse & use Tech 21 pedals, Eminence loaded cabs, EMG pickups, Jim Dunlop picks & Ernie Ball Strings, BC Rich Basses.
    are you pushing a lot of high & lo end & cutting the mids... is the ultra low button engaged?

3. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    If you run a lot of low end with the 810, you can bang the speaker voice coils into the magnet.

That makes a really horrible pop or crack sound. Maybe that is it. The 810 is NOT good at taking in super lows, its a sealed cab with a higher cutoff.

Doesn't mean you won't hear the lows, just that they are not going to flap your shorts......