1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SVT 4pro Question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by buzzbass, Apr 8, 2009.

1. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    I have an older 4pro and @ 2 recent gigs, I've been told by the soundman that there's a loud buzz coming from my direct out. I have them use my wet/mono output, to take advantage of the tone coming out of the BBE, in my effects loop. Now this has only happened @ 2 certain venues, and all others seem to be fine. The last sound guy was looking for a ground lift switch on the 4pro, and it doesn't seem to have one. Is this the issue ? As i've said it's only been 2 clubs out of the many I've played with these guys. Where should I start looking ?

2. cabrego

cabrego

Jan 21, 2007
    I used to have the same problem. There are actually several solutions that I tried that worked at different venues. First I bought a cheap whirlwind direct box and plugged it in after my pedals but before the amp. Run the quarter out to your amp and then you can use your svt di without buzz. You can then use the ground switch on the box. You might say it will suck a little tone but at least it gets rid of the buzz. The other thing you can do is use one of the other outputs on the back of the amp. I also tried using the di between my head and the mixer with a quarter inch out of the amp and xlr out to the board. I also used a quater to xlr straight out of the amp to the board. When I called loud they suggested I just invest in a good direct box. Hope some of this works for you.

3. loend68

loend68 Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2008
    NH
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses, T.C. Electronics
    I've the same problem. Had a cold solder joint fixed on the output and it lasted about two gigs. Now I just bring a DI.....

Hard to believe that LOUD just suggested a DI....that's the whole point of having it built in....

4. svtb15

svtb15

Mar 22, 2004
    Austin,TX - McKinney,TX - NY,NY, - Nashville,TN
    I play it all. Whatever works for the gig
    Thats Ok.. I had a Fender 62 reissue P bass.. I has a truss rod problem while it was under warranty.. i Spoke with Fender about it and they told me to go put a Warmoth neck on it.. mmmmmm..
    Then they followed up with "warmoth is a better neck anyway"... That was Richie Fleigler their AR rep...
    Never thought that i would hear that one....
    OP Sorry for the derail

5. buzzbass

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    This is a pre-loud model, about 10 yrs old. I've had since it was new and this is the 1st time I've ever had an issue. And, only in these 2 specific clubs. I'm thinking it's environmental, no ? The bad thing about a direct box is that when I hit the mute switch to tune, it still goes through the PA. That, to me, is unprofessional & unacceptable.

6. buzzbass

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    Jerrold, you out there ?

7. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND

I believe it is an environmental issue, too. After several years of owning a 4Pro, and thousands of gigs with it in that time period, I had ONE venue that I had the same problem that you are describing. Never had a problem anywhere else with it.

Never could figure out what was causing it there, but every time we played there, I ended up mic'ing my cabinet, because we got all sorts of buzzing through my DI.

8. DanRJBrasil

DanRJBrasil

Jun 10, 2007
    that is issue with the svt4 , it has been addressed before here on tb and jerrold aswerd this question, just do a search and you will find it ;)
    I have a 4 pro too , and I use the 1/4 out

9. cabrego

cabrego

Jan 21, 2007
    DI's have a quarter out to your amp and xlr to the board. Only run your bass through the quarter out to your amp. I did this at some venues and I was able to use the di on the amp.

10. buzzbass

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    I'd prefer to do that myself

11. buzzbass

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    hmm, search didn't turn up much

12. DanRJBrasil

DanRJBrasil

Jun 10, 2007
    i tried too but no avail, try to do a search on jerrold posts, or just send him a pm, he's a great guy ;)

13. DanRJBrasil

DanRJBrasil

Jun 10, 2007
  14. fishtx

fishtx Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Genzler Amplification/Spector Basses/Mojo Hand FX
    I remember having similar issues with my SVT-4PRO as well, and just started using a separate DI...

The svt-4pro is retired now, and is just used as a rehearsal amp...

15. buzzbass

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
  16. rbonner

rbonner

Sep 25, 2008
    The problem is a ground loop. You almost cannot shake it without a ground lift. When I'm feeding my 6 4PRO's together they have ground loop problems. Fortunatly my RADIAL JD-7 I drive each amp with has a GL for each channel and it is Jensen transformer isolated. When my rig is at full poop the thing is nearly as quiet as a church mouse. If the bass is off the cord it is SILENT.

The SVT-4PRO's DI is very well designed and isolated with a transformer right in it from the factory. The only thing they forgot was a ground lift switch. OK so that makes it a poor design. If the audio guy had a worthy board it too would have a ground lift switch... DUH.

You could have an additional JENSEN isolation unit outboard that isolates the ground. Could be cheaper than an outboard DI.

If using the DI's unbalanced output fixes the problem that could be a good thing too, carrying a 1/4" to XLR male adaptor cable is a real cheapo fix. Another fix would be a short male to female XLR cable with the GROUND DISCONNECTED... I'd make one of them up in 5 minutes from spare parts in the casket. Or better yet WRECK the sound guy's cable...

A real Mr Wizzard would modify the 4PRO to include a lift switch...

BOB

PS CASKET=WOOD GIG BOX THAT LOOKS LIKE CASKET THAT HAS AT LEAST ONE OF EVERYTHING IN IT

17. buzzbass

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    I'm planning on carrying my countryman DI to all gigs now, and using the 1/4" out the back method, if needed. One question though. I always tell Mr. Soundman to take my DI from the WET MONO connector. If the mono/stereo switch for the DI is set to stereo, in this secnario, would that make a difference as to the buzz ? Meaning, should the connector selected & the switch setting match ?

18. buzzbass

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    Took the head to another noisey environment this weekend. The electrical wiring in this palce was a nightmare. Anyway, got the buzz through the XLR jack again. Tried the 1/4 unbalanced with a direct box and viola'. No noise. Worked like a champ and the Mr. Soundguy commented about how strong and clean the signal was, as opposed to using the direct box in the traditional manner. Thanks for the tip guys, worked like a champ !

19. ZiggyDude

ZiggyDude

Jun 8, 2005
    When you connect your head to another item - you are both sharing the ground in a way. There is a chance that since you are now grounded to everything that is also connected to the board (amps, other instruments, mikes) that something else is getting you.

I use a Furman as a my power source for everything (top of amp in avatar) - now I never get ground buzzes. I also don't let anyone else plug into it.

As another idea - I once played a job where a ground buzz in the PA came from nowhere half way through the night. We tried everything to no avail. After an hour we found they turned on a flourescent light at night that was in a window - and was on the same circuit. Ugh.