1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SVT-4PRO settings help

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by kevinjack, Apr 6, 2009.

1. kevinjack

kevinjack

Oct 3, 2008
    nashville tn
    hello as you can tell i am a bass player i have an svt 4 pro and an 8-10 cab my band is playing some songs and i just cant get a good sound out of it. if you could help me find the sound i am looking for.

the first one is magic carpet ride i am doing a bass solo where the keys solo is so i need an effect that like rapes the ears as well as put gravy on them if you know what i mean

my next one is i am doing portrait of trace and has hard as i try i cant get a good harmonic tone out of my amp or if i do its very quite.

other than that i have all the other settings down its just those two that i cant get so just shoot me back with a reply

thanks kevin

2. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Magic Carpet Ride sounds to me like an amp cranked, so maybe a VT would be good. And I've found that good harmonics are often related more to the bass than the processing. I guess you could use a compressor to bring them out more.

So you play in a band that does "Magic Carpet Ride" AND "Portrait Of Tracy"? Does that come before or after the ABBA/Metallica medley? ;)

3. Broadbent

Broadbent

Mar 28, 2007
    Ive got the same rig running a musicman. I usually run it with a flat eq, but roll you're mid freq. back to 2 to boost low mids. I also SLIGHTLY boost low mids on the graphic eq just so that when I don't lose level or definition on the higher strings. also don't crank the compressor, keep it at about 40-50%. I also like to use the bright and lo boost switch, but not the hi boost. hope this helps.

4. warwick.hoy

warwick.hoy

Aug 20, 2006
    Spokane, WA.
    Beta Tester: Source Audio.
    Wait; is this an FX question or an amp question? If it's an FX question...get a distortion or Sansamp for the MCR problem and work with your pup blend and tone controls on your bass to get those harmonics. Also try a fresh battery if you are using an active bass. I checked you profile and it isn't filled out...so I have no idea what kind of bass you are using (active/passive?).

5. kevinjack

kevinjack

Oct 3, 2008
    nashville tn
    its kinda both. i just cant find the good effect cause on the MCR the soloing that i do goes all around the neck so if i boost the bass up then the treble is out of whack, then if i pump up the treble than it just sounds like crap. as for the harmonics i keep the cab at my practice spot and just take the head home with me so i practice mostly on a little 15 watt peavy microbass amp or ill use a 150 watt behringer both of those can just pound out the harmonics but my 4 pro seems to just be like really low end. ive looked at the manual and tried there "jaco" sound but it doesn't flow maybe its the cab he used cause i know it had like the speaker facing backward. i am using a vintage 62 fender jazz bass basically just like jacos but its a fretted neck. i have also tried it with my fender P bass and my squire jazz bass and still no luck.

6. warwick.hoy

warwick.hoy

Aug 20, 2006
    Spokane, WA.
    Beta Tester: Source Audio.
    Hmmm....I see....Jaco's sound was ovedriven Acoustic 360 I believe....I think one of the Sansamps may help you get those sounds. The VT bass (scroll all the way down) gets a lot of love in the FX forums, but personally I've owned the Programmable Bass Driver DI. Most complaints are lack of a mid knob and it can be difficult to dial in mids with the PBDDI, but it is a matter of experimenting with the EQ on the amp and the PBDDI. I like it because it has 3 channels and you can set each channel with different volumes...tones and overdrives. I've never owned the VT bass...If they made a programmable version of it however....I would.

Also: Thanks for filling out your profile....it seems petty but it is helpful for filling in the blanks.

7. DanRJBrasil

DanRJBrasil

Jun 10, 2007
    I do also find th 4 pro a bit on the low end and tends to be muddy with old strings,
    One setting that I like in this situations is bass @ 11, mid@ 4-2 o'clock,and high @ noon or 1 or 11 ( depends on the bass,) and the trick is the bright button on and holding or flatting the treble side a bit to not be too high.
    the built in compressor tends to muddy the sound I use just a bit of it , let us know if this settings helped you ;)

8. kevinjack

kevinjack

Oct 3, 2008
    nashville tn
    yea sorry about that i didnt know how to and really never go on here unless i have a problem that is bugging me like this one.

so are you suggesting that i should get a PBDDI.

9. kevinjack

kevinjack

Oct 3, 2008
    nashville tn

thats PERFECT!!!!!! it sound good thank you