1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

svt 5 or 6 pro opinions?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jwaugh, Mar 26, 2006.

1. jwaugh

jwaugh

Feb 26, 2006
    West Virginia
    to play with an ampeg svt 610hlf cab .. fender american jazz 5 string ... classic (hard!) rock.

these amps don't seem to get much mention over the 3 and 4 pro's ...

2. 8mmOD

8mmOD

Mar 20, 2005
    USA
    I endorse & use Tech 21 pedals, Eminence loaded cabs, EMG pickups, Jim Dunlop picks & Ernie Ball Strings, BC Rich Basses.

The differences between the 5 and 6 pro are night and day. you can see that by the descriptions on the Ampeg website and hear it if you a/b them. Of the two, for classic (hard!) rock I'd suggest the 6 pro, which sounds very similar to the 3 pro. I had a hard time dialing in a good tone in my EXTREMELY limited experience with the 5 pro. actually I gave up before I was able to make it sound good. YMMV

3. barthanatos

barthanatos Insert witty comment here

Feb 8, 2006
    South Carolina
    When I was shopping for a new head, I was seriously considering the SVT-6 Pro. This was at BassNW, and they wanted $1100 for it. Stacked underneath was the SVT-2 Pro that I ended up buying. $1000 used in very good condition. I like the 6. But for the price they had the 2, it was an easy choice for me.

4. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I have never been too impressed with my few limited experiences with the 5 Pro. I have tried out the 6 Pro, and I thought that sounded great through the 410HLF that I was trying it out through. I thought it had a lot more tube character to it than my 4 Pro does.

5. Rumblee

Rumblee

Jan 18, 2005
    I have been trying out a 5 pro for the last couple days. The first day I played it, I had a good round tone on the clean channel but couldn't get the overdrive channel to sound good at all. Way too thin. Last night, I messed around with it and now the overdrive sounds perfect, but the clean channel lacks any sort of punch and mids. I think that it can work very well for rock, but at least for me it might take a bit of fiddling to dial it in.

6. Bass for Beef

Bass for Beef

Aug 11, 2005
    Nebraska
    Hit the 6