Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SVT-5 Pro or GK 2001RB

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by iamthenoise, Sep 3, 2002.

1. iamthenoise

iamthenoise

Aug 30, 2002
    What is you choice?
    The Ampeg or the Gallien???

I would go for the Ampeg, cause i can combine both channels. Which would be a really good rock sound.

2. Matthias

Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    Hmm.
    Power, weight and size are about the same, features (OD-channel, FX-loop, ...) are comparable too.
    The G-K allows to bi-amp and go stereo at the same time, a nice feature when you think you need it (I don't).
    Rumors about bad reliability are a downside of the G-K, but I've heard that those problems have been solved.
    The Ampeg is considerably more expensive OTOH.

I think it mostly depends on which tone you like better, but you have to find this out for yourself...

As I LOVE the tone of my G-K MB150 I'd pesonally prefer the 2001RB I guess. But I would compare the overdrive-sound before I decide (I have not yet heard either of them)

Matthias

3. tripwamsley

tripwamsley

Jan 31, 2002
    Sulphur La,
    The GK is faster. All of the 2001s shipped have not had ONE problem at all. Mine is Prototype #3 and I've had it for over a year. The OD is dark and warm at lower settings and it'll rip yer head off at the higher ones. Indeed. If you can give it a shot I think that you will like it. When used with the RBH series cabs, the tweets can be footswitched on or off. When the OD is activated the tweets are automatically shut down. It's really cool. The 2001 is not stereo at all. It is a dual-mono or bridge configuration.
    Hey Matthias, I checked the date on this post!:D

4. ChenNuts44

ChenNuts44

Nov 18, 2001
    Davenport, IA
    Hey Trip- Any chance you could send one of those to me to "try?" Pretty please??? :)

5. tripwamsley

tripwamsley

Jan 31, 2002
    Sulphur La,
    Geez......I wish. Maybe. I have to make a trip to the midwest soon. PERHAPS we can hook up and you can try this thing.......We'll see...

6. I vote try them both then get the GK. There are alot of ampegs in racks all around the country. The GK is a new horse in the barn,

Hey Trip -- Do you know where I can get a set of rack ears for a 700RB? I looked at the web site no luck.

7. tripwamsley

tripwamsley

Jan 31, 2002
    Sulphur La,
    Let's see. If you bought the amp new, there should have been some in the box. Your dealer should have them if not. You can send me a private message with your info and I could have them sent to you. Tell me where and when you bought the thing and we'll get it taken care of.

8. ChenNuts44

ChenNuts44

Nov 18, 2001
    Davenport, IA
    Well I wouldn't expect anything like that from you, as that's quite an offer, but if I could find one around here to try, I would be absolutely delighted. My 700rb sounds great as is, and realistically I probably can't afford a 2001rb, but you know how we are with trying things out (and the often mentioned GAS if you haven't heard of it already). If it did sound good/better than the 700rb, maybe a realistic solution would be to spring for the 2001rb preamp. Who knows??? Peace...

9. Matthias

Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    Ooops! I thought it had a stereo-FX return like the MB150E. (would make sense, as there are already 2 poweramps at hand. But I don't care for FX anyway...)
    :D
    Matthias