SVT-5 PRO worth the money?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Rumblee, Mar 19, 2006.

1. Rumblee

Jan 18, 2005
    I have a friend who wants to sell me his svt-5 pro and pr410hlf that are in like new condition. I haven't had the chance to mess with it too much yet, but it seems like there are a million different things a person could do with this amp. I am just curious if all the features are actually useful? Anyone use one of these?
  2. chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    What is he selling them for?

If I were buying new gear at new price, I would probably make another choice. There are better values out there.
  3. Rumblee

Jan 18, 2005
    He wants $1500 and that includes an ibanex srx500 that i would sell.
  4. I'd play it for a while before parting with your cash. I had the SVT-5 for 2 days, and took it back after some solid playing. The OD channel really wasn't to my taste, and I'm glad that I got the 4 for it's EQ. That cab, is solid, though. Power handling for days (1200W I think), played mine for years, just hated lugging it around. Well worth it, though. It's a face-melter.

$1500 for a high-end cab and the SVT-5 sounds like a good deal, but make sure it's what you want before shaking hands on it.
  5. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Not a bad deal, if the 5 Pro is your thing. I have tried one a couple of times, and wasn't too impressed with it myself. I prefer the 4 Pro.
  6. ETEcarmine

Jun 29, 2005
    I haven't gotten to try out the SVT-5 yet, so I can't say much on it. But the 4x10 HLF is a monster. The low end response is so heavy, but it does not muddy up the sound. This is especially good if you're a 5 string player. I've heard that cab side to side with an Ampeg 8x10, 6x10, 4x10HE, 115, and the 4x10 Pro, and this one just blows them out of the water.

But, you know, that's just, like, my opinion, man.
  7. Rumblee

Jan 18, 2005
    Thanks for the replies. I should have a chance to practice with the band using this rig sometime this week. It seems there aren't many people using the 5 pro head. I'll post up a small review after I've played through it some more.
  8. CanadianBass48

May 8, 2005
    Ont, Can
    I would say go for it man. I personally like the 4 pro better because of its eq but the 5 pro can hold its own. I never used the second channel by itself. I always comdined it ith the first one. It could produce some nasty sounds. The distortion is nice if you only have one guitarist because you can kind-of play the sounds of your bass and an overdriven guitar at the same time so you can gie your one guitarist more freedom to "roam". Its not like they don't roam anyway though. Always doing their own thing they are. But ya, I think that that deal there is pretty fair and you should be happy with it. That head and cab should be killer.