Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SVT-5PRO, B-5R, SVP-BSP Questions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by PatrickEdmonds, Mar 11, 2006.

1. PatrickEdmonds

PatrickEdmonds

Jan 3, 2006
    I was wondering about the distortion and octave effects on these units.

How is the distortion (sansampish)?

Better with the tube preamps as apposed to the B-5R?
    Does the SVP-BSP have an octave?

Do they all use the 4 button footswitch with channels, blend, octave and mute?

2. Masher88

Masher88 Believe in absurdities and you commit atrocities

May 7, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    If by "octave" do you mean an "octave shifter effect" like found on pedal and rack mount effects units? Then No, the SVP-BSP doesn't have an octave. It also has a very low output sensitivity, which I found out the hard way. There's not enough juice coming out of it to drive my QSC PLX very hard. Thus, my rig seems really quiet compared to my old Preamp I used to have.

3. Opas

Opas

Aug 1, 2004
    Harrisburg, PA
    The key to getting a good overdrive sound with the BSP is to not overdo the gain on the overdrive channel and to combine the overdrive channel sparingly with a lot of the clean channel. Unless of course you want screaming distortion. I don't think I would ever use the overdrive channel solo. I believe the overdrive on the BSP is solid state, btw.

I have a two button footswitch for the BSP and it does mute and overdrive on/off. There is no octave.

I have no experience with the SVT-5 or the B5R.

4. JohnPativens

JohnPativens

Sep 20, 2005
    Italy
    I have experience with Ampeg B5R... I'd say, underpowered! Not enough headroom...that's the reason why I didn't buy it.
    On the other hand, the Octave wasn't bad, and I really liked two of the five models in overdrive style.

5. PatrickEdmonds

PatrickEdmonds

Jan 3, 2006
    would you use it as a preamp?

6. abenderx

abenderx

Jun 13, 2005
    Bellevue, WA USA
    Hi Patrick - I'm late to the table here, but thought I'd pitch in here- I have owned a B5R since they were very new - back in 2000-2001. I bought it based on reviews, and it's a decent amp with a LOT of input/output flexibility. That and the promise of the octave and dual clean/OD channels was compelling enough to grab one and...
    The octaver is for the most part useless. I used it a couple times to "show off" and it sounded absolutely horrid - kept dropping out notes and only hitting the octave on every other note or so. The Overdrive? Some may like it I suppose, but like most any overdrive pedal you'd use, it kills the low-end and frankly the tone of the distortion wasn't much to my liking at higher volumes. The low-tone-death thing was SHOCKING - you'd think that they'd make sure to get the freqs figured out to keep things fat, but I don't know distortion tech too much so maybe that's as good as can be expected...

Let me say this - I've since played on several B2R's and I think they are MUCH better amps - they seem to have all the features EXCEPT the octave and distortion, and add an EQ stage to sweeten the deal. That would be another complaint - they have this 5-way tone preset control on the clean channel - it's very odd and I can't figure it out as to how it affects basic tone overall when I tweak - I'd MUCH rather have had a sweepable mid EQ or something more functional.

I've managed to get some really great sound from this head - but only the clean "piano-tone" that is my mainstay, nothing fancy. It's a rock otherwise - only trouble is having one of the little glass-tube circuit breakers go poof right before a gig - that was no good, but a one-time thing so far (those parts are at radio shack for a dollar or so btw...)
    Connectability: 10
    octaver effect: 2
    Distortion channel: 5
    Clean channel: 8 (lack of better EQ brings this down 1-1.5)

It's fine, just think clearly whether those effects REALLY need to be on your amp head because you're giving up some very important features (which ARE in the B2R) to have them...
    -john isenhart