Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SVT 610 vs Powerhouse 610

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by OneArmedScissor, Mar 10, 2006.

1. OneArmedScissor

OneArmedScissor

Feb 23, 2006
    Currently my rig it an SVT450H running through an SVT210 and SVT115. My bass is an American Precision. I have found out that the 15 gives me a bit too much low end for what I need (I play in a punk/metal band, with a pick and mids boosted). I want to get rid of the 115 and possibly the 210.

My first option is swap both for an SVT410HLF. The only bad thing is if I trade it in I'll be losing money. I won't need anything bigger for a while because we're not playing big venues just yet. I just wanna know if it's gonna be loud enough.

Second option is trade both cabs for a 610. I prefer the 6 over the 8 because it'll be easier to transport plus I don't need the 8 for the size of gigs we're doing ATM. I have read many great reviews on the SVT but can't seem to find any on the Powerhouse.

They're both similar in price and in my price range. I'm going towards the Boogie because it looks like it's stronger (metal grille) but other wise I can't see the difference.

I live in Sydney, Australia and haven't managed to find anywhere that has these in stock so I can try them for myself. This is where you guys come in. Which one is the better of the 2? Also, will my 450 watt head be enough to power this rig? I plan on setting up a rack with a QSC power amp sometime in the future. Should I wait until then?

Sorry if I rambled on a bit.

:bassist:

2. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    The Powerhouse will be a little bit more hi-fi/articulate and punchy than the Ampeg. They both put out great lows and low mids.

I used an all Ampeg setup a few years ago (SVT-4, 4x10 and 2x15) and am using an all Mesa/Boogie setup now. I think both companies make equally excellent heads, but Mesa cabinets are by far superior to my ears (I play progressive metal) and are also constructed a notch or two better. If price isnt an issue, go Mesa.

3. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    I don't really like the Ampeg too much. I find that it lacks lows that other cabs put out, but not as much as their 810. I like the tone of the Powerhouse more as well; its got better highs and not such a pronounced midrange a a bit more lows. Its a bit higher priced though. I don't think the price of the Mesa is worth it myself; but I have a Bergantino 610 which isn't really avalible in Auzzieland.

4. OneArmedScissor

OneArmedScissor

Feb 23, 2006
    If the berg was available here I'd probably get that instead judging by all the threads and recommendations on here.

Are there any reviews of the boogie anywhere online? I can't find any.

5. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    I'd stick w/ the 410HLF myself, but if you want to go 610 the Ampegs are wired wierd to get to 4 ohm, if the other one is a 6 ohm cab, I'd like that better, although you'll get the full power out of your amp at 4 ohm.
    That's why I'd stick w/ the 410HLF.

6. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    The SVT-410HLF puts out some serious low end. I actually think that if you can, you might want to try something like a Hartke Transporter 4X10, believe it or not. How is your tone with just the Ampeg 2X10, regardless of volume?

Skel

7. OneArmedScissor

OneArmedScissor

Feb 23, 2006
    With the 210 my tone is pretty much exactly how I like it. The only thing is the volume obviously. That's why I wanna get rid of the 15. It's just cluttering up my sound. The 210 itself has heaps of lowend due to the ports. I would get the 410HLF but I'm afraid that when we start playing bigger gigs it won't be able to project as far, which is why the 610 is more appealing.

8. I had the 610hlf and I personally loved it, much punchier than the 810 in my opinion. I'd get another one if I had someone to move it for me.

Got a 1000 watt 2x12 as a replacement to it because I'm getting to old to drag a 115lb cab all over the place. The 2x12s get the bottom of the 15 without being fart-y and react like a 10.

Haven't really heard the Mesa cab but honestly I'm no fan of the ones I have. Played thru a Mesa 410 that a bandmate had for a while and I wasn't impressed.

9. dave bulles

dave bulles

Jun 8, 2010
    hi guys..,.. ive owned both an ampeg 610 and currently have a 610 mesa. both cabs were good but ill give the edge to the mesa for solid construction and for tone. it definately has more rump than the ampeg and seems to be an awesome combo with my m9 carbine .

10. abiyoyo

abiyoyo

Jul 23, 2007
    sydney australia
  11. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    The PH610 is a really great cab. It has a lot of thickness and impact, but not at the expense of clarity and articulation. If you want to punch through in a rock-n-roll setting with a single cab, this is one of the best in the biz, IME/IMHO. :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :cool:

Regarding the SVT-610, I am a big fan of the SVT-810 (well, the sound at least - not so much a fan of moving them! :eek:), but the SVT-610 doesn't seem to capture the same vibe. I may need to give it another chance, though, as it's been a while since I heard one.

12. Lync

Lync Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2004
    NY
    I just brought out my 610HLF for 2 gigs this past weekend. Not that I want to move it anymore and I barely needed its power (Thunderfunk was on 3 to 4), but it puts a wall of bass tone behind you and has plenty of low end when driven with enough power.

I orig was going to buy the 410HLF but when I tried them side by side in GC, the 610 had better mids to my ear.

The wall of bass behind me was definitely cool. Especially if you have little or minimal PA support, this is a cab that you can use a standalone. People comment how clear the bass is out front (and this was outside).

13. I am between the ampeg svt 4hlf, svt 6hlf and mesa ph410 4homs
    I need something else than my 8ohm svt 4he.
    I want to run the full 4 ohms of my svt III pro. The ideal it would be the 810 but it´s just to big for me so i am between those three.
    I play rock\metal\sludge. Fender P Bass tuned in B distorting with a MXR m80
    What would you recommend?

14. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005

Out of those 3, I'd take the SVT-410HLF - and that's coming from a Mesa fan... I'll also qualify that by saying that I like ALOT of low end from a cab, and that the Mesa 410 has always seemed to short for my liking - it's literally beaming at your knees... I wouldn't even consider the Ampeg 610 - IME/IMO, it's the worst 610 on the market... Another cab you should consider is SWR's Goliath Sr - it's nearly as good as Mesa's 610, but can be had a bit cheaper on the used market...

- georgestrings

15. klejst

klejst

Oct 5, 2010
    I use a PowerHouse 6x10 and it has been by far the best investment I have ever made rig wise. It has a very loud but clean and clear sound to it where I can hear note for note what I play. The construction of the cabinet is very solid as well. It is a bit heavy, but most bigger cabinets are. The tilt back and wheels make it easy to move however and the handles on the sides make it easier to load in and out. It has enough and then some for a lot of the venues I play and can handle on it's own with or without PA support. Has the sound of a 8x10 without the extra weight and size. I can say the Mesa PH6x10 is a great cab to own and play through and if you can get it at a great price like I did then why would you not. I have heard mixed feedback regarding Ampeg's 6x10 cabinets, a lot of them saying it just sounds terrible and others saying why waste time with it and just get a 8x10. If you can I would say try one of each and see what sounds better to you and better for the music you play. And your 450 watt amp should be enough, I power my PH6x10 (4 ohms) with a 4 ohm Peavey Tour 450 head. The PH6x10 also has a 900watt handling capacity so when I upgrade my head down the road it can handle it. The 4x10 would be a good choice as far as good sound and easier to transport and load in and out. Also should not really be a problem if you always have PA support. Rock on! :bassist:

16. Kermin VH

Kermin VH

Aug 21, 2006
    I'd love to have either of the cabs the OP mentioned. I've played though them both and, IMO, they're both pretty awesome cabs.

That said, I run an Ampeg SVT-3PRO (450 watts, same as the OP) into an Ampeg 410HLF and I have NO problem being heard at our gigs, and I'm competing for sonic space with 3 guitarists. They're all running 120 watt Peaveys, two into 4x12 cabs, and one into a 2x12. I'm also pretty sure we have the loudest drummer on earth ;), and I still get compliments after evey show about my tone and how well it projects.

So, to sum it up, if you've got the money (and the back) to support a 610, go for it! If money's tight, the Ampeg 410HLF'll do the trick and not break the bank, IMHO.

17. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Supporting Member

Jan 13, 2008
    Atlanta, GA.
    My friend bought the Ampeg 6x10 way back when I was a freshman or sophomore in high school and I (quite frankly) never had the heart to tell him how 'weak' it sounded in comparison to the Ampeg 4x10's and 8x10 cabs. There were no lows, it wasn't punchy at all, and the tone just sounded 'flat' for lack of a better word.

18. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Supporting Member

Jan 13, 2008
    Atlanta, GA.
    Also, the 6x10 is a pain to move. I used my friends cab for a few big gigs I had in high school and I wouldn't even wish that cab on any of my worst enemies.

19. MattyH

MattyH

Jul 20, 2010
    I'm running through a 410HLF now and I never have to turn my head up past 3, even at the bigger venues. It's a fantastic amp that can get you great highs, and great lows.

I've owned the 6x10, and even used it with the Ampeg head you have. I LOVED it. But, I'm a sucker for Ampeg. One problem, is it's not a "right in the middle" amp. You get a lot out of an 8x10, and a ton out of the 4x10, but the 6x10 dosent up the power at all. You'd be better off with the 410HLF IMO. I get the same out of it then the 6x10 and it's easier to move around. I love the 410HLF because I feel like it gives me exactly what the 6 did. If I wanted a change I wouldnt get another 6, it's not worth it. I'd go 8.

I agree you should look into the SWR 610 if you really want one. I've heard they're wonderful. My problem with Mesa's are that they have TOO much of a distinctive sound. They're quality without a doubt, but I find them one dimensional. Skip the Ampeg 610, and go with the 410HLF, 8x10, or look into the SWR Sr 610 if that speaker configuration is what you're really looking for.

lowmid1 likes this.