1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SVT 610HLF opinions?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jwaugh, Mar 24, 2006.

1. jwaugh

jwaugh

Feb 26, 2006
    West Virginia
    Have a chance to move up to an ampeg SVT 610HLF cab .. would a 450 watt amp be enough to get *something* good out of the cab (have a B2RE .. 450 @ 4 ohms)? The cab is rated 600 RMS "handling" (whatever that really means) at 4 ohms..

thanks!
    Jay

2. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    I have the BSE410HLF, but while I testing it, I tested it along side the SVT410HLF, SVT410HE and the SVT610HLF.

The 610 is a great compromise between the 410 and 810, for more than the obvious reason (being half way between them). It kicks serious booty and is way easier to haul than the fridge.

The only thing I don't like about it (and all SVT cabs) is the cloth grill. If I were to buy it, I'd get a steel grill made for it and have a cover made (especially if bought new).

Awesome cab. Your amp will do fine with it, but at some point you might want to upgrade the amp.

3. I use a SWR Bass 350 Red Faced (350W) amp with this cab and it works well. It might be a little underpowerd but still sounds great! I did try a SVT-CL only 300W and it kicked harder and sounded even better. So i think your 450W ampeg will work well and you will not be let down. I also think the 610hlf is lot more friendly to move around than a 410 cab and it fits in the back of a car!!! Just watch that tolex it rips if you look at it wrong.

4. I play my son-in-law's 610HLF with a B4R head.

The cab is the upper limit that I want to move by myself. The tilt-back wheels and handle assembly are well thought out. The pair of Teflon skid plates on the cab back side make it easy to lever it into the truck, then slide it back.

Clarity is good, thanks to the tweeter. Bottom is weak, but I expect this, as the 610HLF is pretty sensitive. No measurements yet, but will have some later.

Mine has at least one partially blown driver. My SIL sent it to Ampeg authorized service here in Sacramento, and they screwed it up. After 5 months in the shop, the box is still broken, and now out of warranty, so SIL is SOL.

Tolex is not the ideal covering for road use. This one is all torn up. The only way to keep Tolex nice is by using an ATA case, which is even more size and weight.

My band mates like the sound for classic rock covers. I'm just using it for grins and giggles at the moment.

5. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    Have him call Jim Moon at Ampeg service (Service manager).

See if he can get it straightened out. If your SIL has the service receipts, that should tell the tale in an undeniable manner.

That seems pretty obnoxious, you'd think a speaker couldn't be THAT hard to fix.......

6. I'll pass it along. The dealer is the one in Rio Linda, CA. I guess he is the only authorized Ampeg facility in the area.

The cab went in broken, hung out there for months, came back broken. SIL was busy with his other 610HLF, so did not check it out immediately. When he got around to using it, same problem as before. Very noticeable, blown driver(s).

7. playmybass

playmybass

Mar 28, 2004
    Tucson, Az
    I like it, but I would have liked it more if it was sealed instead.

8. Lync

Lync

Apr 13, 2004
    NY
    I use one with my Thunderfunk TFB420...this cab likes power. I also have a B2R and (to me) it wasn't quite enough to hit the cab's sweet spot although it was acceptable. The Thunderfunk can do this though and it enables a warm and punchy mix.

I did purchase a single Ampeg classic 15 for practice and smaller rooms. To apprectiate the 610, you have to be about 10-15 feet in front of it. If you are closer, the tone blows right by you. Those in the audience love the tone, so I guess that is the best compliment the cab can have.

I did find it easier to move than the 410HLF since it is less cube-like and more upright.

9. anyonefortennis

anyonefortennis Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Lincoln, NE
    - Insert mandatory NV610 reccomendation here -

10. I love my 610 with either of my amps...its perfect for rock and itdoes have that siganture "dark" ampeg sound.

11. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    I have a 610HLF that I've been using with a GK1001RB-II, then a couple days ago an SVT-3 PRO. Both heads sounded really good through the cab, but I had to really crank both of them - I don't think it had anything to do with the cab. I heard the SVT-350H (B2-R in a box) into the 610HLF at GC - it sounded very good. I do think the 610HLF is hard to move though - stairs happen, and that's when you'll know it's a 6X10 cab that weighs a lot. The cloth gives the cab some class, even if it does get torn a little. You can't go wrong with a 410HLF either - in case you haven't tried one.

Skel