Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SVT 610HLF vs SVT 410he+15he

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by origami, Sep 13, 2005.

1. origami

origami

Jun 26, 2005
    Big D TEXAS
    all right. I have pretty much decided to return to Ampeg SVT series for my cabs. I like the look and the sound. I will be running a GK 1001rb-II into the cabs.

i was gassing for an ampeg SVT 412he, but it is only rated 400 watts RMS at 4 ohms, and i am afraid that my 700 watt head might overpower it while using it as a stand alone cab (same reason the 410hlf is out). I have to play some gigs without PA support.

so next on my lists are either:

SVT 610HLF
    http://www.ampeg.com/manuals/SVT-610HLF.PDF

OR

SVT 410he combined with a SVT 15he
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=home/search/detail/base_pid/481741/

http://www.ampeg.com/manuals/SVT210HE_SVT15E.pdf

what do you guys think is the better rig?

2. 8mmOD

8mmOD

Mar 20, 2005
    USA
    I endorse & use Tech 21 pedals, Eminence loaded cabs, EMG pickups, Jim Dunlop picks & Ernie Ball Strings, BC Rich Basses.
    Neither is "better" IMO. since both setups will sound different, its a matter of what type of sound you want and if you want a 2 cab or one cab setup. I use a 410HE + 15E & it works great for my needs. I'm not thrilled with the sound of the 610HLF, but others are.

3. You should first take your amp to your local guitar center or other music store of choice, find these three cabs, and try them out. No amount of advice anyone will give you on sound will be of any good, becuase your ears have to be the judge. People go on and on about how super early SWR era stuff is so wonderful, I was actually going to buy without trying but spotted a 610 at the shop, hooked it up, hated it (it was functionally and cosmetically fine). Different brand, but same story. Sound preference aside, consider this. The 610 will be cheaper in price, but more of a pain to move. If you dont have a vehicle to fit it in, or will be moving it alone usually, it will get old REAL quick. 410 and 115 are moveable by yourself, can fit in nearly any car (if you're the only one in it), BUT will cost quite a bit more I'm thinking. Definately try them out though.

4. origami

origami

Jun 26, 2005
    Big D TEXAS
    i guess "better" would be subjective. i was wanting people's opinions that may have tried the cabs our have owned one or both and how it suited their needs.

i have gone through cab-o-rama over the last few years, its gotta stop:

i had the 210+15 set up. the 210 couldn't handle it in those no pa support situations. i had the 410 stand alone. lacked a little bottom. i currently have the 2x15. lacks a little definition.

i am currently play alt-rock with fender 4-strings tuned to 440. think u2, radiohead, strokes, cure. i play EQ almost flat with a tad bump in bass and a tad less hi-mid. sometimes i got to hit the bass hard and not all speakers can take the abuse.

mm

5. Well in that case, I've played on both of the setups you're looking at.
    I A/B'd them with a GBE600 head, and a Spector NS2 of the czech variety. This was not a brief 5 minute run through of a few licks. I sat with each for at least an hour, exploring numerous EQ variations, music styles, and volume levels. First cab I tried was the 410HE alone. Sounded real good. Nice and punchy, though not as deep as it's ported brother the HLF, still wonderful fundamentally. Seemed to have a strong emphasis on the mids.
    The 410HE and the 115 cabinet togeather sounded pretty impressive to my ears. I really dug the mid-heavy tone of the 410, and the thump of the 115. Not quite as clear of a combination as the 410HE+410HLF (my personal favorite combination in the ampeg line), but still definately thumpin, and could easily hold its own at an outdoor gig with no PA support.
    The 610 didnt quite sound like a smaller 810, nor did it sound like a bigger 410. It was a bit on the scooped side for my taste, as I've found alot of 610 cabinets to have this problem (some people may prefer it). I've also heard the 610 live, it was plenty loud and fit in the mix well, but didnt really leave me wanting one.

My personal preferences go with the 410+115. Bigger rig, bigger sound, yet more portable since you have two cabs to work with. On the downside it will cost you a bit more probably, unless you're looking to the 'bay for your purchase.

6. Lync

Lync Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2004
    NY
    I have the SVT610HLF...

The cab sounds good, but to me, it has to be loud to get the tone I like out of it.

I was using my Eden 2X10XLT and newer Bassman 1X15 the other night and realized that I miss the thump of a 15.

The 610 is easy to transport, and for a loud rock band is excellent. If you play at lower volumes though, or need that 15 thump, I would go with the two cabs.

7. 8mmOD

8mmOD

Mar 20, 2005
    USA
    I endorse & use Tech 21 pedals, Eminence loaded cabs, EMG pickups, Jim Dunlop picks & Ernie Ball Strings, BC Rich Basses.
    In this case a 410HE + 15E would probably be the sound you want. i tried two 410HE's - punchy, but not enough low end. two 15E's - very full sounding, not enough punch. But a 410HE + 15E gives me plenty of punch & just the right amount of solid low end. Together they are rated 700 watts RMS, so they can handle some wattage. I have used mine with a 3 pro, an SVT CL, a Vintage SVT, an SS150H, a 4 pro and also with a QSC RMX 850. I even use my 410HE stand alone for rehersals. "CaptainHueso" mentioned using a 410HE + 410HLF. the downside of that is the impedence is mismatched. the 410HE + 15E are both 8 ohm cabs.