Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SVT-6PRO/ 410hlf volume issues/SVT-CL?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mactac, Jan 3, 2006.

1. mactac

mactac Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Victoria, BC, Canada
    ok, so i'm not getting enough volume out of this. beleive it or not... i have the preamp up as much as i can without clipping & the master volume dimed.

the weird thing is, if i put something in the effects loop that increases gain, i can get more volume out of it without distortion... weird.

anyways, would I be better off switching the svt6 for an SVT-CL?

or would a different cab do me better? the hlf is 4 ohms, so i can't add another cab (and really don't want to anyways).
    I'm thinking that i could probably find a cab that is a bit more efficient, but am i really going to get that much more volume out of it? probably not

2. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    That's wierd, I've always heard the 6 was plenty loud,do you think something is wrong w/ it? Do you have a Music store around you can listen to another one?
    Yes a CL should have plenty of power, or a 2-Pro.

3. mactac

mactac Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Victoria, BC, Canada
    ya, it's like 1100w or so...

is the CL louder than the svt6?

4. kdogg

kdogg

Nov 13, 2005
    Ohio
    I have an SVT4-pro that I play through an SWR Goliath III 4x10. I had a similar experience with a perceived lack of volume when playing with a full band. I added a 1x15 cabinet, and viola, plenty of volume and punch. Alone, or in a smaller venue, the 4x10 sounds great. But at full stage volume, 2 guitars with half stacks and a rock drummer, I just wasn't getting enough push. For me, adding the 1x15 did the trick. For you, having a 4 ohm cabinet already, means if you add another cabinet, you'll need to run the amplifier in stereo, if this particular model can be run in that configuration. I can't remember if the svt6 is stereo capable.

Hope this helps...

5. Greg Jones

Greg Jones

Dec 1, 2005
    Thornton, CO
    Isn't the 410hlf an 8 ohm cab? If this is the case you're not getting the full 1100 watts out of that head. Only 750 if memory server me well. Check the impedance of your cab. If it's only 8 ohms another 8 ohm cab will help you realize the full output capability of that head.

Still though DAMN 700 plus watts sure seems like enough power to me. ???

6. mactac

mactac Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Victoria, BC, Canada
    no, the svt6 is just a mono output.

7. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    I haven't tried an SVT-6Pro yet, but from what I understand, it's supposed to be a beefed up version of the SVT-3Pro, which is kind of weak for 450 watts... maybe Ampeg rated the SVT-6Pro the same way?:meh:

8. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    The CL is 300 watts tube so it's loud, people usually use them w/ an 810. But I would think the 6-Pro would be louder, I haven't done a side by side I moved just about when the 6-Pro hit the store. I don't have a good local music store so I'm surviving off of Bass Central.
    They had a good question are you using a 410HE or 410HLF. The HE is 8 ohm and the HLF is 4.

9. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    Your right about the 3 Pro, I have one and practice @ 1/2 volume, that's not right. I gave Eden a shot and have the WT1205, It has he same volume @ 11/2 or 2, both w/ 4ohm 410s. That 1205 is loud, but I've heard Edens are the opposite, they tend to sound louder than they are rated.

10. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    I have an SVT 4 Pro.

When playing clean, I plug my active bass into the passive input (bypassing the 15dB attenuation). Oh yeah, it's loud. I think Ampeg allows for the gain or boost realized by the user adding effects so just the bass alone doesn't drive the pre (and therefore the power) stage enough.

Also, it's not going to damage your speakers if you clipped your preamp (don't clip your amp!).

11. mactac

mactac Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Victoria, BC, Canada
    ya, i know. 2 problems:
    1. i am driving the preamp hard. this isn't the problem
    2. sometimes it's actually hard to tell if it's the preamp or poweramp clipping... they use the same LED!! what the heck were they thinking??!!

anyways, my main question is:

if I change to an SVT-CL will it be louder or quieter than the svt6?

12. fast slapper

fast slapper

Dec 11, 2001
    Fresno, CA
    I just tried the SVT-6 with a 4x10hlf pro and found it to be very loud. I also tried a SVT-CL and found it to be under whelming compared to the SVT-6. Have you tried any other amps with your cab? It sounds like something might be wrong with your amp.

FYI: A cab with higher efficiency will make a much more dramatic difference in volume than using a higher powered amp.

13. Hi!

By any chance do you have the -15dB cut button pushed in? Or perhaps you have the compression turned up too far?

I have an SVT-6PRO. I play a 70's P-Bass, through the 6PRO into an AVATAR B210 KAPPA PRO and an old Joe's 1 X 15 Cabinet loaded with an eminenece KAPPA PRO LF. Both cabinets are rated at 8 ohms, whether I play with just the 210 cab (8 ohms) or both cabs (4 ohms) it is LOUD!

Cutting through a mix full of screaming guitars may be a bit tricky eq-wise, but that is another story. But if I turn the gain to 12:00, the Master barely makes it to 9:00 or 10:00 before the dishes start to fall off the shelves upstairs!

Jerry G

14. 8mmOD

8mmOD

Mar 20, 2005
    USA
    I endorse & use Tech 21 pedals, Eminence loaded cabs, EMG pickups, Jim Dunlop picks & Ernie Ball Strings, BC Rich Basses.
    Either something is wrong with the amp, or you have it eq'd horribly wrong. Are you scooping out all of the mids? what exactly are you putting in the fx loop that makes the amp louder?

You guys with the "quiet" 3 pro's, turn off the ultra low, thats what sucking out all the volume. Shape the tone with the graphic eq instead

15. Triclops

Triclops Guest

Jan 14, 2006
    I used to have a 3 pro, but it wasn't loud enough.So I got a 4 pro,and was pretty weak for a 1600 watter.I had these heads
    running at their proper ohmage for max power and I was pretty disapointed with the weak power output . I now run a different rig and halfway up I the neighbor across the street
    hears vibrations in her kitchen! 600 watts at 4 ohms! I just don't get it...maybe I was eqing baddly back then.

16. brothernewt

brothernewt Some people call me the stormtrooper of love...

Apr 13, 2004
    Happyrock, OR
    I can't imagine that rig doesn't knock short band members off their feet. I'd suspect something was wrong or second 8mmOD's eq thoughts. I use an SVP thru a stewart 1.2 into an SVT410HLF and it's so loud I stopped bridging the amp. 350w on the one side was deafening and it's a pretty loud band otherwise.

17. svtscruggs

svtscruggs

Mar 18, 2006
    nashville, tn
    Endorsing Artist: Ampeg Amps, Fender and Music Man basses
    i play a svt 2 pro...300 tube watts and it is more than anyone could ever need...if your amp is 700 + and it is weak...i would get it looked at...

18. 8mmOD

8mmOD

Mar 20, 2005
    USA
    I endorse & use Tech 21 pedals, Eminence loaded cabs, EMG pickups, Jim Dunlop picks & Ernie Ball Strings, BC Rich Basses.
    I will say it now, most people have no f@cking clue how to dial in an amp to its fullest potential. I regularly play gigs where a house rig is provided and I always can get a useable sound and level from the house amp, but often cringe at the tone when the next guy gets up there using the exact same rig but turns the knobs "his way". Some guys can even make a vintage SVT sound like crap.

I play a lot of shows with a little 200+ watt solid state head (with PA support & a 410+15) and my stage volume is plenty loud. I even played at 150 watts with a single SVT 410HE cab recently. The stage volume was loud, although not much low end, but in the house system it was HUGE sounding & I wasnt even in the monitors. I cant even use my Vintage SVT at most clubs because its too loud for the stage.

So after that rant, i will repeat- Either something is wrong with the amp, or you have it eq'd horribly wrong.

19. AM I MISSING SOMETHING HERE? IVE BEEN PLAYING A PRO 3 THRU A 2X15 FENDER CAB FOR 20 YEARS NOW AND HAVE NEVER HAD A VOLUME ISSUE. IVE PLAYED FUNK,POP,COUNTRY AND ALL KIND OF CLASSIC ROCK AND HAVE NEVER HAD THE AMP WHAT YOU CALL"CRANKED TO THE MAX" ALWAYS FULL ALL KINDS OF GERTH. MAKES YOUR PANTLEGS FLAP WHEN YOUR STANDING IN FRONT OF IT. THIS THING WILL GO FROM SUTTLE TO BALLS TO THE WALL AND NOT EVEN FLINCH. BY THE WAY THEB IS JUST A PLAIN JANE EXACTLY LIKE THIS ONE.http://cgi.ebay.com/OLD-FENDER-BASS...01470518QQcategoryZ121157QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

20. It's most likely an EQ issue, but before you guys rant about how you can get your audience to brown their pants with your 200watt amp, please consider that he might be playing far louder and heavier music than you are... some genres of music ARE louder than others and it is dependant on the volume of the other players you are playing with... NO 200watt SS amp will ever hold up against 2 mesa boogie half stack guitarists in a numetal band with a loud drummer - EVER.

I do however concede that in most situations, the 6 PRO and the 410 should be more than sufficient for his needs. IMO an extra cab is the solution...