1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

svt 6pro experiences?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BluesBass1, Jul 22, 2012.

1. BluesBass1

BluesBass1

Jul 12, 2012
    Gages Lake, IL
    have a chance to pick up a svt 6pro for a very good price.....recently retubed....
    i have read reviews from MF GC and others but would like to hear from someone on Talkbass as i believe there is a lot of real experience to learn from here.

im mostly interested in great tone w/decent power.....for small/medium clubs contemp blues/funk...never real loud.

oh yeah, i love the ampeg sound and am even considering the svt-cl though not crazy about the weight.

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    I owned one, and loved it. You'll need some good spkrs to go with it. Think 215, 610, 412, etc.

3. Slapagroove

Slapagroove

Dec 5, 2009
    Central NJ
    I currently own an SVT-6 Pro and it's killer. I think it's one of the best hybrid Ampegs out there. Can get any type of tone out of it... plenty of power but has some weight to it so plan on lifting. It also can get hot so make sure you have ventilation for it. I actually installed a rack fan above it just to be safe. The only negative I can see is that the fans can get loud. No issue if you're on stage but I wouldn't necessarily record with it. I also use a GK 1001 RBII when I need something lighter but have to say the Ampeg is my favorite. I agree with Ricken...select your speakers carefully...I'm running Avatar B212 + B210 and it still wants more.

4. This ^^
    Little on the heavy side but worth it IMO
    I run mine with 118 & 410 cabs.. Love it

5. BluesBass1

BluesBass1

Jul 12, 2012
    Gages Lake, IL
    thanks to all...........on speakers im looking at some used ampeg pn410 and pn115....at 64lbs and 52lbs.......
    with the amp at 40lbs should be easy load in and out............

6. Yeah the 6 Pro is a beast. Amazing tone, and I love the EQ on it..... but it is heavy and deep.

I remember the first time I gigged with one, when I flicked it on the house lights dimmed for about a second.

7. BluesBass1

BluesBass1

Jul 12, 2012
    Gages Lake, IL
    it would seem like with 6 tubes and a tube voltage control that it would be the best of both worlds.......where you can achieve the vintage tube tone or the more modern by dialing back the tube voltage.
    does anyone know why they discontinued this model?

8. Ian Swope

Ian Swope

Mar 14, 2015
    Chicago, IL
    I know this thread has been dead a while but I wanted to chime in with my experience with a 6 Pro.

Pros - Loud, Powerful, tone shaping possibilities

Cons - Muddy tone

At least that's my experience. I find that it's almost impossible to get a decent clean usable tone out of this as most of the low frequencies are just muddy and it tends to break up easily. If anyone else is extracting good tone out of this I'm all ears as it's difficult for me to get the parametric eq to do much to clean it up.

chaosMK likes this.
  9. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    If your tone is muddy, it's not the amp. Could be how you have it eq'd, too much sub, or could be your spkrs. The 6Pro was a clean monster of an amp, with tubey tone in spades. Also, the voltage knob works opposite of what you may think- for more tubey growl, turn the knob down. Up is cleaner.