SVT-7 pro and PF115he cab?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by AndrewM, Sep 20, 2016.

1. AndrewM

AndrewM

Feb 10, 2013
    So in my hunt for a new head, the svt 7 pro caught my eye. The only problem is that it's rated for [email protected] and my current cab is rated for [email protected] After sifting through the many threads debating overpowering vs underpowering, headrooom, etc. I have been left a little confused and was hoping to get some clarification.

If I ran this head with this cabinet, provided I didn't crank the volume past like noon or 1 o'clock and listened to be sure there was no distortion, would I run the risk of damaging the cab? I know cranking it super loud would put out more than the cab can handle, but I can't think of a reason I would need to be playing THAT loud. I have second identical 115he cab if I need the volume, it's just in storage since my home space is limited.

2. High Camp

High Camp

Oct 3, 2013
    Netherlands
    I have used the PF800 many times with my Portaflex cabs, which is more or less the same situation.
    (if I wanted to, I could blow up everything with that head, same as the SVT 7 Pro).
    Because I always listen to the speakers for fart out and so on, there was never any problem.
    I think that you would approach it the same way, if I read your post correctly.

The headroom is tremendous with the PF800, so I'm sure the 7 Pro could even top that.
    In other words: go for it!

3. AndrewM

AndrewM

Feb 10, 2013
    Good to hear. I mean, the difference is only 150w so as long as I am listening and adjusting volume cautiously to avoid any distorting (other than that awesome grit from the good ol' BDDI) I should be good?

4. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

Max wattage doesn't happen until you dime everything. The cab will let you know when it's in trouble. Just be careful to not crank things and them bang on strings. Bang the strings as you bring the power up.

I also run mine with a pf-800 but that's 8 ohms so max 400 watts outta the head so high camp is a bit off there. However, even at about 1/2 throttle the cab is loud and strong and I still have a bit of room to work with. Gets As loud as you're going to get with a single fifteen: plus or minus fractions of a decibel. At that point it becomes inconsequential. Need moar louder? Add more drivers.

5. Knob position is no indication of power output. I would take both cabs unless confident one was enough.

Gearhead17 likes this.
  6. AndrewM

AndrewM

Feb 10, 2013
    @Downunderwonder

How can you accurately gauge the power your head is putting out? It seems reasonable that a volume knob on 1 is supplying less power to the cab than if it were set at 10?

Also, can you explain why running the head at [email protected] into the two cabinets with combined handling of [email protected] is less risky than running the head at [email protected] into the single cab rated [email protected]? Or did you just mean to use both cabs if I think I might end up wanting to play loudly

7. The extra cab is a bit like bringing your anti tank aircraft along when you go on an invasion.

It's more safe to play loud through two cabs coasting than thrashing one cab. To me that's just common sense. It's still not safe to assume the amp can't kill the cabs if you reduce the knob setting to 12 or 1. You need to test it with your ears.

8. arai

arai Inactive

Jul 16, 2007
    Bass gear magazine tested the output of the 7pro (issue 7) and they measured the output at 457 watts at 8ohms 5%THD. So providing ampeg are not lying about the cabs watts too it should be a good match

9. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

May 4, 2006
    Mount Prospect, IL
    You can reach max wattage with knobs at a neutral position and a high output bass. Hitting your strings harder than normal will also demand more power than a softer touch. Loud effect pedals do the same thing. It's all relative to the signal you feed the input.

10. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    You should be fine since you seem to have a good head on your shoulders. And when it comes to micros and lightweight heads, I've found that the more wattage they have, the better they sound, even if you don't come near using all that it's capable of. I don't really feel that way about tube amps and traditional SS amps, but there are some people who feel that way about them, too.

11. AndrewM

AndrewM

Feb 10, 2013
    Thanks for the replies everyone. Last question, was I correct in saying that the two identical 450w cabs will give a total power handling of 900w when the head is connected to both? Initially I thought this was true but I started thinking about it and seem to have gotten lost in my own thought and have confused myself. Forgive me, I'm working on getting acclimated to the more technical aspects of amplifiers

12. Correct on paper. Doesn't mean you are immune from blowing up cabs with 8/10 on a knob on a 1000W amp.

13. AndrewM

AndrewM

Feb 10, 2013
    Thanks. And yes I am aware that I need to use my ears as the judge and not just assume that because the knob is at whatever position that everything will be ok. I was just hoping to learn a little more about setting up an amp and cab. Also, as previously stated, I don't think I'm going to be playing crazy loud any time soon and was just erring on the side of caution.

14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 29, 2021