1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SVT 810 grill question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by doomloop, Jul 25, 2012.

1. doomloop

doomloop

Mar 1, 2011
    Portland, OR
    Any TB'ers wanna throw out some advice on straightening a slightly curved speaker grill...I am about to replace the old velcro and mines a bit warped...don't really want to screw it in....

First thought is a light misting on a warm day with some type of bracing to flatten but not too sure about getting it all wet...

I also wanna get an Ampeg logo which is missing...thanks!

2. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    www.fliptops.net for Ampeg logos. They don't have everything but they have a great selection.

Straightening out a bowed grill? Not sure, but maybe lay your cab on top of the grill for a month ;)

3. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

Dec 25, 2007
    Gastonia, NC
    My '92 Classic frame was like that. I wet it down and laid some heavy objects on the bowed parts and let it sit for a while. That took most of the bow out. However, within a few weeks, the bow had returned. So then, I just took some small screws and screwed the frame corners into the box frame, took a sharpie and blacked out the screw head. It now stays pretty straight. I've found logos on Ebay. Last I checked, Fliptops didn't have all style logos. Just depends on which one you're looking for. :cool:

4. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    Straightening a grille frame is a hit and miss thing. As Oren related, the wood is going to do what it wants. Sometimes it co-operates, sometimes it doesn't. It also depends on how warped it is.

Try the most conservative things first. Wet the frame and clamp or weigh it down and see if it helps. I haven't had a lot of luck with this but it is worth trying.

The grille cloth can shrink with heat. If it was unevenly exposed to a source of heat, even sunlight, it might have caused the grille frame to bend. I suggest removing the grill cloth to remove any stress and then try straightening the frame. Any heating with the grille cloth in place might cause it to warp even more. At this point, a good soaking or a steaming with an iron, then clamping it down, and letting it dry might help.

A more dramatic approach would be to use a router to cut a slot and glue in a hardwood brace. You can also cut through everything and build a new frame out of a hardwood like poplar. If you supply an accurate measurement for your cab, flip tops.net will built you a new one.

Parts places that sell logos will only have the modern version that Ampeg currently uses on their cabinets. Vintage ones can be found on ebay if your are patient. The last time I bought a metal cabinet one, I paid around $50.

5. doomloop

doomloop

Mar 1, 2011
    Portland, OR
    Thanks for the tips....

I think I'll start with Jimmy's suggestion and move on from there...I think the whole shrinking cloth could be an issue as well.

If it comes down to it I'll either go big with the velcro or screw the damn thing in...I'm only using it to rock out and it looks awesome with or without screws....I think I need to lighten up about it all even if my rig is 'heavy'....;)

6. 2behead

2behead

Mar 8, 2011
    portland
    They sell the industrial strength Velcro. That stuff could hold back a train.

7. doomloop

doomloop

Mar 1, 2011
    Portland, OR

That I like the sound of!