1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SVT-810E and 2 SVT-450H's

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by gregnbyers, Aug 27, 2007.

1. gregnbyers

gregnbyers

Aug 27, 2007
    My son is thinking of adding a second Ampeg SVT-450H head to run through his SVT - 810 E to add stereo and more volume. My question is whether the addition of a second head will increase the performance of his rig like he thinks it will. Has anyone tried something like that?

2. Hookus

Hookus

Oct 2, 2005
    Austin, TX
    I have, but with an SVT-4, which is capable of operating completely stereo with a single head, and you can bi-amp as well. Since you will be running about half the power into essentially a 4x10 on each head, I doubt you will get any volume difference. What you are really doing is going from a Mono 450 watt 8x10 to a pair of Stereo 275 watt 4x10's. If you want stereo, sure, if you want volume, probably won't help. A better option IMO would be to go with a head that has similar features to the SVT-4, and do this without having to use two heads.

3. gregnbyers

gregnbyers

Aug 27, 2007
    That makes good sense. Ohms always confuse me, but I'm assuming you are saying there won't be a significant increase in volume because of going from 4 ohm on mono to 8 ohm in dual mode. We'd probably better off selling the existing 450 watt head and going to the 1000 watt. Thanks for the quick response!

4. jarrod cunningham

jarrod cunningham

Apr 24, 2007
    sylacauga alabama
    spector basses
    yep , go with a bigger amp ......