Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SVT-810E and low B

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JayAmel, Jun 9, 2003.

1. Yes, it does

7 vote(s)
    70.0%
  2. No, it does not

3 vote(s)
    30.0%
  1. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Hi,

Though I had two Ampeg 8x10" SVT cabs in my life (a vintage one, then an SVT-810E many years later but for a short time), I never experienced them with any 5-string bass (I still was a 4-string player at these times).

According to the Ampeg specs, I have doubts about the ability of these cabs to handle a low B. So, from anyone's experience, what about it ?

Thanks in advance,

All the best,

2. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    From what I've read their strong suit is not a full range sound, but rather a sound that cuts through well. So I guess they are more mid-rangey than bassy.

In a live band setting it's not always good to have full range anyway, the B and E fundamentals tend to cause boominess, and most of the energy and definition is in the first overtone (60-ish and 80-ish Hz something). We played in a very difficult room once, and by using the low-cut filter (75 Hz) on the PA mixer the bass sounded great. Not something you'd instinctively do.

3. eugene swank

eugene swank

Jun 6, 2003
    Southeast
    I've played through a 1972 ampeg svt for the last 10 years. We normally tune to Eb and occasionally I will knock the e string down a step or so, which although isn't the best setup, will put the note around the C or C# area. Now the 8X10 cabinet isn't a subcabinet or a bass cannon cabinet, but during a live show, those bottom notes will be extremely audible with all the tone and texture of your actual bass without getting muddied in with the kickdrum. I personally can't deal with a bass sound that is only a sub thump with almost no distinguisable differences between notes, but if you want more of a sub feel, you might want to look into a 4X10 cabinet for clairity with an 18 on the bottom, the SVT will push it with no hesitation.

my two cents worth,
    Mr. Swankenstein

4. adamaarts

adamaarts Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2001
    Corona, CA
    Beta tester Source Audio, demos/reviews of many others
    ill make iot short and simple: 5 string bass tuned to Ab, handles it very well, i try to use little low end but really boost the mids in the 200 Hz range, this gives the appearance of low end but has a nice growl to it.

5. basss

basss

Aug 27, 2001
    NYC
    I played through one in a rehearsal studio last night. When the band was playing I couldn't tell the difference between the low B and the one an octave above it.

6. monkfill

monkfill

Jan 1, 2003
    Kansas City
    If you like the sound of the 810E, you'll have no issues about how it handles the low B.

According to the specs, it doesn't even "handle" an E. To me, the low B sounds just as good as the E. . . you won't really be hearing the fundamental, but I can easily distinguish between the low B and an octave up. However, I do play a Modulus Flea 5. Its putting out more of the first harmonic than fundamental, given its pickup position and the fact that I play right over the pickup.

My vote is yes.

7. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    As the 810 is an unported cab the LF rolloff should be much smoother than a ported cab and if you boost the bass below the resonant frequency of the cab you won't risk over-excursion problems with the drivers. Consequently, you could use a good eq to compensate for the LF rolloff of the cab and get a relatively flat response down to low B.

Alex

8. I've played 5 string and it sounded good down to a low D. Below that it lost just about all fundamental and was all overtones. Still loud as he11 though.