1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SVT-8PRO

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by SnakeAnthony, Apr 26, 2006.

1. Is this head even out yet. If it is, can anyone provide me with a review? If it isn't then can anyone provide a release date? What about a review of the SVT-6PRO

2. 8mmOD

8mmOD

Mar 20, 2005
    USA
    I endorse & use Tech 21 pedals, Eminence loaded cabs, EMG pickups, Jim Dunlop picks & Ernie Ball Strings, BC Rich Basses.
    The 8 pro isnt out yet, but i heard it at winter NAMM & will be one of the first to get one when it does hit the shelves.

Do a search for reviews on the 6 pro, I have read a few here.

3. I did a search that resulted in nothing of real help. Can you give just a brief description of the tone. Does it sound like most Ampegs?

4. 8mmOD

8mmOD

Mar 20, 2005
    USA
    I endorse & use Tech 21 pedals, Eminence loaded cabs, EMG pickups, Jim Dunlop picks & Ernie Ball Strings, BC Rich Basses.
    A description of the 8 pro? It sounds a lot like an SVT. I havent exactly put it through its paces since I only heard it in a booth at a trade show.

The 6 pro sounds similar to the 3 pro.

5. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    And there really isn't a "most Ampegs" tone anymore- the different heads all sound different for the most part.

6. trainyourhuman

trainyourhuman

Apr 12, 2000
    MI
    I am interested in this head as well.

7. Yeah, but Ampegs have their own vibe. I love Ampeg for its characterized bottom end. I love it, and I couldn't get that sound anywhere else. I'm curious if this head captures that, as well as any other defining traits it has as far as its sound goes. Perhaps what I should have said was "Does it have that Classic Ampeg sound?"

8. 8mmOD

8mmOD

Mar 20, 2005
    USA
    I am confused... which amp are you talking about now? you mentioned both the 8 & 6.

My brief comparisons & descriptions I posted earlier aren't opinons & directly answer your questions... unless of course you have never heard a 3 pro or SVT?

9. I want desciptions on both from anyone that can give them. But at the time I was asking about the 8PRO. I have to say that I haven't heard any of the newer version Ampeg heads, so I don't know the sound of the 3PRO. I've played through a couple of classic heads that I loved, and I'm looking for a similar vibe to that in the newer PRO model heads. Do they capture that same kind of sound?

10. 8mmOD

8mmOD

Mar 20, 2005
    USA
    Well now I have something to work with!

Not too many people have heard the 8 pro, I have. If you have limited experience with the Ampeg line, its harder to describe the amps. If you liked the classic, you will probably love the 8 pro. Now this part is my opinion... although I like the Classic, I prefer the sound of the vintage SVT heads over it... the vintage has more clarity & depth. The preamp in the 8 pro is essentially the same preamp from the 70's era SVT heads. The features on the head are extreme- 2500 watts at 2 ohms! Its a Class D power amp with a switch mode power supply so its very lightweight. It also has a tube emulation knob so you can dial in "power tube growl" at any volume level. I really liked what I heard at NAMM and I am patiently awaiting the release of the 8 pro.

The 3 pro - to me - sounds a lot like the SVT Classic when the CL is played at lower volumes. When you crank the CL, the power tubes start to produce that signature Ampeg growl. With the tube gain dimed on the 3 pro, it has the fullness of the CL before it starts to growl. But the 3 pro - at least the way I set mine - was very clean sounding & full. Now the 6 pro is basically the same circuit as the 3 pro with a bit different of an eq section and a whole lot more power. I dont have enough experience with the 6 pro to give you more details than that.

Just to add to your options, there is a new amp called the Ampeg SVT-VR (vintage re-issue) which will be released soon and is essentially an exact copy of the 70's SVT circuit & cosmetics.

11. One thing i want to know . . . is there an SVT 7 Pro? or have the skipped that :p

12. 8mmOD

8mmOD

Mar 20, 2005
    USA
    The 7 pro went through an enormous amount of revisions. At revision 7.85, Ampeg just decided to simply rename it the 8 pro...

13. Thanks alot man. Thats the EXACT kind of description I was looking for in posting this thread. My Ampeg BA115 combo is going to have to suit me for awhile, but by the time I need a new rig, the 8PRO will likely be the head I turn to (along with a BXT-410HL4 4x10 cab, and maybe a BXT210M 2x12).

14. Guiseppe

Guiseppe

Oct 26, 2003
    Vancouver, WA
    Was just too hard to get it to run with service pack 2...:bag:

15. Guiseppe

Guiseppe

Oct 26, 2003
    Vancouver, WA
    OK...in all seriousness, I'm interested in this head as well...the SVP1600 is one HEAVY amp and if I could shed a few pounds, I'd consider it. Still the SVPCL/SVP1600 is a KILLER pre/power amp combo, and has yet to even get warm when driving my 410/21012 stack at high volumes, and the tone...well, although it doesn't have the 'growl' of the old heads, it still sounds so good that I can't imagine replacing it unless I find something else that will impress me even MORE...

16. Coelho

Coelho

May 10, 2006
    Astoria, NY
    It is available again... Any real world experiences?

17. |B|rad

|B|rad

Mar 6, 2010
    Jacksonville, FL
    Why would you bump three different threads on the exact same subject?

18. Coelho

Coelho

May 10, 2006
    Astoria, NY
    Maybe because this is the subject of these threads? :eyebrow::confused:

This amp has been unavailable for ages, thought that people interested before could be interested now. Kind of makes sense, doesn't?