Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

svt ampeg with non ampeg cabs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by terraplane, Jan 23, 2003.

1. terraplane

terraplane

Oct 14, 2002
    Italy, Palermo
    Hi, I've got a classic series 1x15" ampeg cabinet, 200W rms, and a MARKBASS 4x10" 800W rms cab, a modren cabinet, with very depth bass frequency response, bass reflex on the front of the cabinet, that give a lot of punch to the sound...a warm cabinet, but very HI-FI. You think that a svt ampeg head, can loose all his storical tone with this combination of cabs?
    thank you,
    michele

2. ThunderStik

ThunderStik Guest

Jun 25, 2001
    Claremore OK.
    Actually I like the ampeg sound more through through some of the more modern cabs.

3. monkfill

monkfill

Jan 1, 2003
    Kansas City
    I plugged my (modern-day) SVT into my SWR 4x10 Goliath III just for the hell of it, and it sounded pretty good. This was just a low volume test, so I can't say how the cab will hold up at higher volumes. I had the tweeter dialed down to about 1/8 (7:30 on the dial on the back of the cabinet), just enough to get a hint of its sound.

Overall, at this volume, it sounded pretty similar to the Ampeg 810. I would imagine that the two would depart onto totally separate sounds as the volume increased.