Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SVT and fender bassman

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ashton, Jun 2, 2004.

1. ashton

ashton

Jan 4, 2001
    Australia
    Has anyone attempted to build either of these with the schematics available over the internet? I am going to attempt it, il let ya know how it works out.

if anyone has built either or both of the above amps then i need as much help as humanly possible.

thanks in advance

2. jja412

jja412 Fine gear enthusiast

Feb 2, 2004
    St. Louis
    Looked into building the power section of the SVT briefly. The transformers are WAY too expensive to buy just two. :( Cost me half as much to buy a Vintage SVT than to reproduce just the power section. But maybe you've found a different source than I did.

3. ashton

ashton

Jan 4, 2001
    Australia
    I was going to build an svt, MB dual rectifier, fender bassman and some marshall I dont know yet? any suggestions.

now it looks like ill have to make the cheapest.

4. If you have to buy every little part, the SVT scratchbuild will run you about $3000, the MB will run you about $2000, and the Marshall will run you about $2000. Plus, you can figure about 80-120 hours of work for each one, and if you've never done this before, you can go ahead and assume they will hum like crazy and have lots of problems.

If you want to get into amp building / repair, find yourself a good old 100 Watt tube head - Bassman 100, Earth Superbass, something like that, and rebuild it from the ground up. That would save you tons of money. If you really want to build something completely from scratch, start with something simpler like a 15 or 50 Watt amp, and it will still cost you $500 or more just for the parts, not to mention special tools like chassis punches, etc.

This stuff is fun, but you can't just jump in and build a masterpiece in one weekend for a hundred bucks.

Chris

5. My stepdad re-built a linear L50 amp using a marshall circuit and the thing kicks ass. He ditched the valve rectifier and the EF86s to keep with the marshall thing. It hums nastily if you put everything on 10 but after we added the master volume and dropped the presence control, quiet as a mouse. Its only fifty watts from 2xEL34s but its got a really good sound. I use the Trace Elliot for gigs but when ive had problems in the past, its happliy drove 4x10 and 1x15.

I think you should go for it, maybe not SVT league but something a little smaller, maybe 100 watts...

6. TheAmpNerd

TheAmpNerd

Apr 25, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    Do what Chirs said. Though I was quite intrigued about you
    going to build a Mesa Boogie Dual Recitier....Are you going to
    have your own set of boards made for this amp? I need to
    open one of these up and have a look inside. If my MkII
    is any indication of what lies within....

You will need to do two things....Buy a Rectifier first and
    strip it, then send the boards off to be copied....

...CAUTION

The last time I looked, these boards are all copyrighted
    unless you know a private lab that will prototype them for you...

In short what does that mean to you? Big $$$$$$

Real suggestion - Find a Fender Bassman and rebuild it.

7. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    --- or a Traynor Bassmate, Guitarmate ... check the 'Amp Central Station' forum at TDPRI. Seems like a number of kit builders & modders are over there.

8. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    Don't electrocute yourself! There's some serious voltage in there that will make you wish you paid $3 grand for a Vintage head.