Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

svt and v4-bh

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by terraplane, Jan 1, 2003.

1. terraplane

terraplane

Oct 14, 2002
    Italy, Palermo
    In the ampeg website they say that v4bh is the exact reproduction of a svt cl, with only 100w power section, what do you think about?

2. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    PBG-
    Could you elaborate?
    I have a new SLM V4BH which does a great job for me tone-wise. I have no need for the power of the SVT, so I don't compare the 100 vs. 300 watts,
    but I am interested in the differences that you speak of,in the circuitry or in your opinion of the overall sound qualities of each.
    Thanks, & Happy New Year.

3. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    Thanks! Besides what my ears tell me, your "endorsement" of the V4BH bodes well.
    I'm sure marketing at SLM does what they think they gotta do to capitalize on the prestiege of the original Ampeg legacy-it's a competetive world out there!
    When I chose the (new) V4 head, I was lucky enough to be able to pair it with a now-discontinued Classic 4x8 cab, a good match IMO.
    I was actually seeking a tone machine more similar to the old B-15's rather than the SVT's, as I personally am more of a "pocket" R&B/jazz player as opposed to SVT arena rock capability! This combo don't sound like my '70's B-15N, but it is sweet!
    Anyway thanks, and I hope to have many opportunities to view your expertise in posts and pick your brain in '03- It is appreciated!