1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Svt at 8 ohms

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by whitespike, Jan 20, 2012.

1. whitespike

whitespike

Nov 28, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Does an SVT still run 300 watts at 8 ohms?

2. someparts

someparts

Nov 22, 2010
    Ohio
    For a while it will... :ninja:

Don't run it at 8 ohms if you can help it.

3. whitespike

whitespike

Nov 28, 2007
    Austin, TX
    What do you mean by this? Will it hurt it?

4. I believe it's output transformer only has 4 and 2 ohm tapps so it won't put out the full 300 at 8 ohms and it will run the tubes harder. I am by no means an SVT expert so I'll defer to one of the more experienced Ampeg users here on TB. If I had to guess on power at 8 ohms I would sayyyy......230-250 watts RMS at 8 ohms.

Again, I'm only a novice when it comes to tubes.

5. Sinomis666

Sinomis666

Apr 16, 2011
    I did it for a while... went thru a few tubes because of it.. get a 4 ohm cab!

6. What model SVT? A lot of models are called "SVT" including many SS output ones.

7. whitespike

whitespike

Nov 28, 2007
    Austin, TX
    So it could hurt it? Crap. I have to look and what speakers I have. I replaced the speakers in my V4 412 a couple of years back for more powerful bass speakers. I feel like I would have replaced them with the same impedance. Did the V4 412 come in both 4 and 8 ohms?

8. whitespike

whitespike

Nov 28, 2007
    Austin, TX
    The model is the SVT PRO II that I am borrowing. I plan in purchasing an SVT Classic.

9. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    You can usually do it if you don't push the amp, but it basically isn't a super idea..... no guarantees on what will happen.

Borrowed SVT? Play it like ya stole it? ;)

10. whitespike

whitespike

Nov 28, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Hadn't had PROBS so far. Really don't want to replace the speaker again if I can help it! I'm gonna take a speaker out and look when get off tour in a few days.

11. whitespike

whitespike

Nov 28, 2007
    Austin, TX
    I usually run the master and gain at 12 o'clock at most venues. Not sure how 'hard' that is. Sounds killer tho!

12. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Those settings would be considered on the borderline of hurting it IMHO.

13. whitespike

whitespike

Nov 28, 2007
    Austin, TX
    What exactly would it do to it?

14. someparts

someparts

Nov 22, 2010
    Ohio
    Running an impedance mismatch is hard on the transformer and tubes, and I'd say a power tube meltdown will happen before a tranny issue on an SVT. My guitar player shorted a power tube in 5 minutes on his Marshall JCM900 due to a 100% mismatch like you may be running.

V4 guitar cabs were only 8 ohm that I know of, but you could have 4, 8 or 16 ohm replacement speakers in there wired series or parallel so you'll need to check both the speaker impedance as well as how it's wired up.

Simple fix if it is 8 ohm is get another matching cab. If you are running an SVT with gain and master at noon you'd probably appreciate what the extra cab would add anyway.

15. You can rewire an 8 ohm 4x12 into a 2 ohm 4x12, problem solved.

16. Spencer!

Spencer!

Jun 25, 2006
    Seattle
    Owner, Pike Amplification & 3Leaf Audio
    I've run an SVT at 8 ohms in recording sessions, but I wouldn't play it live that way.

17. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Overheat the output transformer and/or shorten tube life. My motto is it's ok for rentals, but NEVER WITH MY SVT!!!

18. whitespike

whitespike

Nov 28, 2007
    Austin, TX
    So I have a V4 I use too. I like the idea of rewiring it to 2 ohm but wonder if thatll be ok for the v4. I need to do what will work both amps.

19. whitespike

whitespike

Nov 28, 2007
    Austin, TX
    The pro 2 actually stopped working on tour. Again I don't know my impedance and will check. On this particular gig in NY the room was down a shinny steep stairwell. They had a Hartke 410 downstairs so I just used it. It was fine all night. The next two gigs had SVT backline. The next night I tried to use it the light thing started blinking and it wouldn't work. I bet that Hartke was bad news. Had to use my V4 the rest of the tour.

20. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Hoo boy...hope it wasn't serious. I'd have it looked at by a competent tech.