Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SVT AV through a 410 cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JPJ77, Oct 12, 2005.

1. JPJ77

JPJ77

Aug 5, 2005
    Simple question, has anyone played an SVT AV through a 4X10 cab? How did it sound, what would you recommend for someone that doesn't have a lot of transportation space? Thanks.

2. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    What is your budget?

3. JPJ77

JPJ77

Aug 5, 2005
    Decent budget I guess, I dotn want to go over $800 for the cab.

4. el_Kabong

el_Kabong

Jul 11, 2005
    The SVT AV is the same amp as the svt-cl except for cosmetics right? My svt-cl sounds so good through an epifani 410ul it ought to be illegal! Loud, punchy, clear, defined, responsive and loads of other good words. Only downside, if you want to call it that, is the epifani will really let you know when the svt power tubes are starting to let go, it's a very revealing cab (I like to keep my svt running clean). At 57lbs I don't know of anything lighter (it's lighter than my ampeg 210) and while I don't think it's as small as a schoeder 410, it's still pretty small. I can't compare the two but I can say my svt never sounded so good.

5. JPJ77

JPJ77

Aug 5, 2005
    This may be a simple question, but I see that the SVT AV is rated at 300 watts for 2 ohms and 4 ohms. I also see that the ampeg 410 he 4X10 cab has a nominal impedence of 8 ohms...can the SVT AV be used with the 410 he?

6. el_Kabong

el_Kabong

Jul 11, 2005
    Nope, tube amps don't like to see a higher impedence than they are expecting (opposite of solid state amps). The 410hlf is 4 ohms but big and heavy. Decent wheels & handle tho.

7. Tim1

Tim1

Sep 9, 2005
    New Zealand
    Have to disagree in this case. For years I used an SVT2(non-pro) mainly with an SWR Goliath 3 8 ohm cabinet with no problems at all - and it sounded as good as the 810. I actually contacted Ampeg about this and they replied(same day too) that there would be no problem at all as long as I was using a higher impedance (which I know is what they also say about transistors) and that I should use the 4 ohm output. Long story short, I ran it like this for 5 or 6 years regularly and it never missed a beat.

8. you can usually handle up to a 100% mismatch, so its kinda ok to run an 8ohm cab on the 4 ohm tap, its just not recommended, because using the higher impedance will make the tubes wear out faster (either the tubes or the output transformer)

Thing is tim1, you were using a non pro SVTII, these things are beasts, i had mine on sans a load yesterday! and its still fine (i think)

9. bobyoung53

bobyoung53 Supporting Member

Aug 29, 2004
    Millbury Ma.
    It's not good to run them at a higher impedance they they are supposed to have, I did the same thing years ago also without realizing it which proves than Ampeg makes great bass amps, but.... You'll get less power out of your SVT this way and it will sound dull and lifeless. I wouldn't recommended it. Whoever Tim talked to at Ampeg was misinformed which is not unusual at these places. Incidently tube amps are the opposite of SS amps and do better with a mismatch (which they don't like either way) that is lower not higher than the required impedance, but either way you're going to lose some power and shorten the life of the tubes.

10. JPJ77

JPJ77

Aug 5, 2005
    Any recommendations on a good 4 X 10 cab to use with the SVT AV?

11. I use my SVT II with my peavey 410 TFX, it may not be the best cab, but it does fairly well! not had a chance to try many others

12. Tim1

Tim1

Sep 9, 2005
    New Zealand
    The person I sold my SVT2 and 810 cab to(the weight simply became too much for a 54 year old body - went to a Mesa 400+, much lighter) was a recognised session player and music writer over here. He had the opportunity to try it with several 410 cabs that he was reviewing - in his words he was amazed at how good it sounded with any 410, and it fact like me now uses it mainly with a 410 rather than the 810. Since I owned it with both an SWR Goliath 410 and the Ampeg 810 I could compare them both, and in all honesty at small to medium gigs the there was little difference between the two - I just cut the tweeter on the Goliath and all was fine. The logical choice would be an Ampeg 410 I suppose.

13. nls666

nls666

Jul 31, 2005
    The Netherlands
    I also have the SVT-CL/AV and actually I'm planning on changing to a (loud) 4x10 set up also (instead of the 610HLF). I was thinking about the ampeg BXT410. I tried it once for a short period of time and it sounded very good and punchy...
    In other words, I'm open for suggestions also on this subject... :)

thanks,

nls.