SVT Cabinet Tone

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Interceptor, Jan 13, 2006.

1. Interceptor

Interceptor Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2005
    Madison, WI
    Just read the 8x10 thread, and picked up on the references to one of Ampeg's 410's sounding like the 'fridge (except less efficient.) Fact or fiction?

I am looking to get the classic sound, but just don't need the volume of the classic stack for the bar gigs we have lined up. I just need to keep up with a typical rock drummer.
  2. chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    The Ampeg 4x10 will probably get the job done. It definately does not have the wall of sound effect, but could keep up with non-berserk drummers pretty well. I used one years ago with an insanely loud double-bass drummer and often got drowned out on stage.
  3. Not that hard to keep up with a drummer w/ my 4x10, even with a 350w SS head (B2R).
  4. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    The SVT-410HE is essentially half of the 8x10 with a tweeter. It's sealed, subdivided into two interal chambers (like the 8x10) and uses the same speakers (four 32 ohm speakers in parallel giving an 8 ohm cabinet).
  5. Try to A/B a Bergantino NV610 with the 810 and the 410 if you get the chance before you buy one, very enlightening!!

6. Interceptor

Interceptor Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2005
    Madison, WI
    Thank you all! I will have to check out a SVT410HE and the Bergantino. The tone I'm after will benifit from a sealed cab. I've read so many good things about the Bergantino line, now I've got to find a place to audition them.