Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SVT & cabs:

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by marcinkus, Dec 1, 2002.

1. I'm the happy owner of a V4b, a SVT210he & a SVT115e (both 200W 8 ohm). I love this rig, but recently I found a big deal on a SVT classic and I'm a bit confused about what to do:

1) can my cabs handle the SVT power (and will they sound fine)?

2) should I sell one of my cabs and buy a SVT610hlf?

2. JMBass

JMBass

Nov 27, 2002
    Portugal
    What SVT classic are you talkin' about?

3. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    I have the same rig as you! Ampeg V4BH through a SVT210HE, and a SVT15E. I would say go for the SVTCL. The cabs can handle the power, and it will sound great! I am planning to purchase the Classic in the Spring.

4. JMBass

JMBass

Nov 27, 2002
    Portugal
    I play with both SVT410HE (400W) and a SVT15E (200W) with a 350H head (350W on 4 ohm). I like it very much and never felt wattage problems.

5. Bump! :p

I recently considered to replace the 2x10 with the 8 ohm ampeg 410HE... suggestions?

P.S.

Does the tube (pre-power) clipping damage the speakers (as the SS clipping could)?

Tnx!

6. Get an Ampeg SVT 810 cab, they sound the best.

7. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    The 210 & 115 would be great but the 410 & 115 would be so much better, IMO.

I has an SVT-IIPRO (Similar to the SVT-CL but rackmountable with a few more bells & whistles) & I used to clip the amp all the time & never damaged anything except maybe my hearing. :)

8. This makes me happy ;)

I'm a bit afraid of the 810e. It's an awesome cab, but I think it would be a pain to move around (stairs, little doors)...

9. I'd think those cabs would work really well with an SVT CL, and you won't have any problems with them with that head.
    .........Although the 610HLF is a very nice cab...
    I'm using a 410HLF with my '76 SVT and it sounds deluxe.

10. The 810 can be a pain to move around. It would be better to buy a used one because the more you move it around the more beat up the tolex is going to get. That rough black tolex likes to come off in big strips at a time. At least it is mostly on the back of the cabinet where this will occure.

11. terraplane

terraplane

Oct 14, 2002
    Italy, Palermo
    Tu si cuccàz....
    Cervo che quella GRAN BADDA la puoi montare sulle tue casse, e vedi come derapa..va come il vento!
    Forse derapo pure io, non so perchè ma mio pazio, più che vedere v4-bh+210he come soprammobile nella mia stanza (e ostruzione per l'apertura della cassettiera delle tovaglie da tavola), preferisce permutare il tutto e mollare la sarda! Tuttavia non è detto...chissà chi potrà svampare x primo questi famosi 300W....CMQ,
    tu si crozza, spero che talkbass ti abbia "convinto" .
    E vedi cosa dicono gli zuzzrelloni? Get a 810, it's awesome cab, with killer tone!...dai, pesa solo 700kg:))))

12. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    O!!!! Io non leggo Italiano molte bene. :) E scrivo pui mali.

13. vivaknoxvegas

vivaknoxvegas Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2002
    Knoxville, TN
    I have am running an SVT head with an SVT 6x10-HLF cab and it sounds really fantastical. I recommend it.

14. :D

Thanx for your responses, dudes...

Terraplane, next time write in english ;)