1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SVT channel 1 problem

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by DLEE, Apr 16, 2009.

1. DLEE

DLEE

May 24, 2006
    Mableton ,Ga.
    I was messing around with my amp today and decided to try all of the inputs. Everything is fine with the exception of the bright input on channel 1. While playing the volume will drop to a very low level,not completely off but way off the mark from where it should be, then it comes back up only to drop again. I gave the strings a good thump to see if it reacted like a bad joint but it doesn't change the low volume at all.All the other inputs work perfect. Any ideas? Tube, bad solder joint?

2. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Doesn't sound like anything major. I would think you could rule out tubes if the normal input works OK. Cold solder or dirt in the contacts is my first instinct, but I'm far from an expert.

3. DLEE

DLEE

May 24, 2006
    Mableton ,Ga.
    Jimmy, when you say dirt on the contacts do you mean the surface of the jacks where they actually touch the plug?

4. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    No, more like dirt in the actual plugs themselves. It's corrosion that can form between metal parts.

5. DLEE

DLEE

May 24, 2006
    Mableton ,Ga.
    10-4