SVT-CL Cab and Tubes for Recording at Low Volume

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by PianoOfDoom, Aug 13, 2018.

1. PianoOfDoom

PianoOfDoom

May 30, 2011
    NYC
    I just cancelled my PF-20t/210av order (which was waiting for restock anyway) and grabbed a good deal on a used SVT-Classic head locally. I now need to get a cab for recording only, and was wondering what the minimum size I can get away with would be. The 210AV seems so tiny, that I'm concerned it might not be able to handle it, but what do I know about these things. The CL has a 2/4ohm switch and the 210av is 8ohm.

Do I need to step up to the 410? I'd rather save on size, if possible, but let me know what it is the best match for recording at low volume. There is also the smaller SVT212, but I think the tone I'm after traditionally comes from the 810 fridge. I've never compared.

I'm going for a grindy tone like the Birthday Party or Alex Hacke, using a Thunderbird, mostly.

2. PianoOfDoom

PianoOfDoom

May 30, 2011
    NYC
    Follow-up: what about the Portaflex 210? I like the smaller size, volume is not an issue, and it's pretty. Does it sound like the SVT, though? How would you characterize the difference?

Also, why is the SVT-410HE rated for 8ohms when the companion SVT-CL head is 4? I don't get this ohm stuff and don't want to burn my apt down.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2018
  3. The svt head can oo
    Operate at 8 ohms. Even the designer of the head has stated this.

4. PianoOfDoom

PianoOfDoom

May 30, 2011
    NYC
    Thanks. The switch only says 2 or 4, so I wasn't sure.

5. Yea just put the switch on 4 and you should be good to go. Especially since you are just wanting to record with it. No worries. I think @JimmyM has even used a CL with a 410he cab on a few gigs before.

6. PianoOfDoom

PianoOfDoom

May 30, 2011
    NYC
    Sounds like a good plan. I think the fact that it isn’t ported makes it better recording without spewing a bunch of unnecessary low end into my bass traps. :)

floridagatorfan likes this.
  7. I have plugged my SVT CL (now sold) into my EA 112, No mermaids wept and the cab was intact. Mesa 400+ yesterday I was testing in the EA 1X10.

Inversely, a THD Univalve with one 6v6 class A at 6 watts into a 6x10. You will not get a ticket or be humiliated with these weird matches.

PianoOfDoom likes this.
  8. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    Just did two weeks ago in Atlanta. Rental. I don't do it with my own stuff, although I did accidentally do it with my Heritage rig the first gig I did with it. Who knew about all those different cab inputs??? :D But Bill Hughes, the SVT inventor, says it's safe to run them with an 8 ohm cab.

NKBassman and PianoOfDoom like this.
  9. PianoOfDoom

PianoOfDoom

May 30, 2011
    NYC
    Just edited the title to ask about tubes as well. I peaked inside and everything is Sovtek. Is that what came with this head originally? I’ll probably play around with the preamp tubes, but I’d appreciate any specific recommendations for early breakup. I’m trying to get the grindiest tone at the lowest volume. Thanks.

10. PianoOfDoom

PianoOfDoom

May 30, 2011
    NYC
    That’s good because I just ordered a demo SVT-410he classic. :)

JimmyM likes this.
  11. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Yes, the Sovteks come in it stock. Wouldn't know what to suggest for grindiest tone, but with any SVT-CL, if you want grind at low volumes, you're better off using the preamp cranked, as any SVT with the power tubes cranked is going to be ear-splittingly loud no matter what tubes you use.

basscapes and MDBass like this.
  12. PianoOfDoom

PianoOfDoom

May 30, 2011
    NYC
    I tested it out in the store with an 810, and was able to get some dirt with the gain maxed and the master low. Volume was totally reasonable, so the 410 should be even better. I could only do this with the Stingray they had in the shop, as the Fenders were too quiet. My Thunderbuckers are pretty hot, though, so I'll be in good shape.

This is my first SVT, and my first non-SS, non-combo bass amp. I'm pretty excited.

Engle and JimmyM like this.
  13. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Well then you're set. And for the lower output stuff, just add a clean boost pedal and you can make lower output basses grind just as much as the T-Bird. For recording, you can totally make little cabs sound massive, and the 210av does mic up very well with an SVT driving it, as do all their cabs. But you will really enjoy the 410he mic'ed up as well, plus it's a 410 you can slam pretty good on a gig if necessary.

PianoOfDoom likes this.
  14. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011

Have you considered how you are going to manage the fan noise?

I would go with a 212AV. Yes the amp will work fine with 8 ohms, but running the amp at 4 ohms puts a little less wear and tear on the tubes. The 212AV is 4 ohms and a lot of people say it's voiced pretty similar to the 810 and is great for recording. You may eventually want a pair of 212AVs...that will be a nice and very capable rig.

Here's a thread you might enjoy.
    Opinions on the SVT 212 AV vs SVT 810 - not for volume, but for tone?

210AV would be great for recording...I would want more for gigging.

JJR58, Mastermold and PianoOfDoom like this.
  15. PianoOfDoom

PianoOfDoom

May 30, 2011
    NYC
    Thanks (again, the PF-20t thread taught me a lot). I already ordered the 410, but if I don’t like it, I’ll get the poor FedEx guy to pick it back up and order a 112 or 212. :)

Wasnex likes this.
  16. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    No worries...I am sure you will love it!

PianoOfDoom likes this.
  17. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Fan noise...LOL! I've never picked it up on any mic'ed recordings I've done with an SVT. And even if you do, it's as simple to deal with as sticking the head in a space closed off from the cab and using a long speaker cable. And in a mix, nobody's going to hear it anyway.

NKBassman, Curtbass and PianoOfDoom like this.
  18. PianoOfDoom

PianoOfDoom

May 30, 2011
    NYC
    I didn’t hear the fan noise in the store, but I’ll test it out with a few mics once the cab gets here. I have a tube mic with a freq response that *looks* good for the SVT, but it may be sensitive to extra noises. Otherwise, my M88 is a hypercardioid, and could also work. Experiments.

19. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    Maybe I am overly paranoid, but I think it's a good idea to have a long speaker cable and a long instrument cable if the recording setup is not known in advance.

JimmyM and PianoOfDoom like this.
  20. Yes indeed! :D

Wasnex likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 13, 2021