1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SVT-CL crackle

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ubernaut, Jan 23, 2005.

1. ubernaut

ubernaut

Apr 10, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Ive got a 98' svt-cl with the ampeg 8x10. I play a 72' gibson eb-3 and a shecter model T. I tune down to drop C. I just had my head gone over and retubed (power tubes) since I bought it. Lately im noticing a lot of crackly buzz coming out of all the speakers when I hit my low C string. Sometimes it buzzes and sometimes it doesnt. Its not fet rattle. Ive seen other bands play in C with the same gear and it sounds bitchin. It almost appears to go away if I play for a few minutes. Then I switch to standby, turn it back on and it does it again. Help.......was my amp guy not thorough enough? I didnt notice this b4 my amp was setup, nor did I notice it immediately after.

2. the dude

the dude Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2004
    Indy
    Assume it is the same with both basses? And you've tried a different cable? Even a dfferent speaker cable (unlikely source - just swap it to be sure.)

If those changes make no diff, it's back to the amp tech.

It *could* be the speakers, but more likely it's the head. Again, swap out with a different head (hopefully another CL) and see what happens, just to be sure.

Good luck.

btw, nice setup - esp. with the EB-3...

3. ubernaut

ubernaut

Apr 10, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Yeah its the same with both basses and different instrument and speaker cables. If its the cab could I tell by visual inspection???????

4. the dude

the dude Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2004
    Indy
    Not necessarily. I'd try another head with your cab and/or another cab with your head.

5. superfly

superfly

Aug 4, 2004
    Check the pre amp tubes, all of them. My v4bh had that intermittent crackle also. My v4bh had 4 (or 3) preamp tubes 2 visible and 2 in the guts. Problem went away when they were replaced.