Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SVT-CL crackle

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ubernaut, Jan 23, 2005.

1. ubernaut

ubernaut

Apr 10, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Ive got a 98' svt-cl with the ampeg 8x10. I play a 72' gibson eb-3 and a shecter model T. I tune down to drop C. I just had my head gone over and retubed (power tubes) since I bought it. Lately im noticing a lot of crackly buzz coming out of all the speakers when I hit my low C string. Sometimes it buzzes and sometimes it doesnt. Its not fet rattle. Ive seen other bands play in C with the same gear and it sounds bitchin. It almost appears to go away if I play for a few minutes. Then I switch to standby, turn it back on and it does it again. Help.......was my amp guy not thorough enough? I didnt notice this b4 my amp was setup, nor did I notice it immediately after.

2. the dude

the dude Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2004
    Indy
    Assume it is the same with both basses? And you've tried a different cable? Even a dfferent speaker cable (unlikely source - just swap it to be sure.)

If those changes make no diff, it's back to the amp tech.

It *could* be the speakers, but more likely it's the head. Again, swap out with a different head (hopefully another CL) and see what happens, just to be sure.

Good luck.

btw, nice setup - esp. with the EB-3...

3. ubernaut

ubernaut

Apr 10, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Yeah its the same with both basses and different instrument and speaker cables. If its the cab could I tell by visual inspection???????

4. the dude

the dude Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2004
    Indy
    Not necessarily. I'd try another head with your cab and/or another cab with your head.

5. superfly

superfly

Aug 4, 2004
    Check the pre amp tubes, all of them. My v4bh had that intermittent crackle also. My v4bh had 4 (or 3) preamp tubes 2 visible and 2 in the guts. Problem went away when they were replaced.