1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SVT-CL: Do you set your stage volume with the input or master volume?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jim C, Nov 5, 2010.

1. Jim C

Jim C Is that what you meant to play or is this jazz? Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    Have always left the master full up on my SVT-CL and adjusted stage volume with the input gain knob
    Thought I'd try it the other way around and realized that I really like the clean tube sound most
    All of this just reconfirmed that the tone in my head is pure, clean tube tone and this amp is still my favorite over any pre/power rig, hybrid, or SS rig that I've ever tried
    Then again I haven't played a GK in many years or a Mesa M series; not saying these sound like an all tube head, just that I am not familiar with them.

What about the rest of you guys; do you prefer some input distortion in your everyday bass tone?

2. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    I went both ways with it, depending on what tone I was after. Most times I used the gain for volume adjustments, though. I prefer power section saturation over preamp saturation.

3. JGR

JGR The "G" is for Gustav Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 29, 2006
    Maryland
    President, CEO, CFO, CIO, Chief Engineer, Technician, Janitor - Reiner Amplification
    I really liked the CL's I owned. I like to run the Master at about 3/4 and set volume with input gain. That seemed to give the best combination of grind with clarity.

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    i can't do a cl (or any ampeg) with cool gain. it's got to be a little hot for me. i don't like it where it's obviously distorting, but i always have the gain up halfway or more, and i use the master for on the fly adjustments. tried it the other way a couple times, and i can't deal.

5. With my G-K amps....
    When playing classic R&B, funk, pop, I go for a clean, articulate sound, so I run the master (Woofer) way up high, and control volume with the first gain stage (Volume). Boost usually at 9:00 for a wee bit of character.

For Rock, Blues, etc (a little dirtier sound), I'll select the overall character with the earlier gain stage (Volume), and dial in "grit" with the Boost knob, then control volume with the master (Woofer).

6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    how about your svt-cl, eric?

;)

7. Hmmm....probably close to twenty years since plugging in to one of those, and then it was supplied backline. Most times I'd twiddle a knob or two and the sound was just there!

For someone who's always loved the classic SVT, it's funny I've never owned one! :bassist:

8. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    i almost can't blame folks for not owning one...even i have to admit that sometimes that 85 lb deadlift to the top of the 810 gets to me.

9. Oh yeah!... Now I remember!... Even in my twenties I struggled with a few of 'em.
    I think I had a roadie threaten to quit if I got one.

10. Jim C

Jim C Is that what you meant to play or is this jazz? Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    Fence Jumper!
    You've posted 11,732 times that one either uses a hand cart to move the best sounding (greater than 50 watt) amp ever made or settles for inferior tone!

I let the gig be the deciding factor as to how much weight I carry; still amazed that approx 40 years later, I haven't found an amp that has wowed me away although I must confess that I've never used high end channel strips in a live application

11. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    i think that's why i could never get roadies...well, that and it didn't pay for crap.

12. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    me neither. probably won't, either. just can't bring myself to pay that kind of money when i already have an svt and b-15n. so yes, even though sometimes the deadlifting gets to me, i do use it when i don't use the b-15n. except on rainy outdoor gigs...but i wouldn't bring a $2000 channel strip on them, either.