1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SVT Cl fan problem..help please!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jarrydee, Aug 5, 2012.

1. jarrydee

jarrydee

Oct 22, 2011
    Michigan
    this amp is brand new and I think I am going to send it back, first one of the preamp tubes went monophonic, then I kept hearing this buzzing/rattling noise from the back of the amp, so I take the back screen of and I see this white wire with a connector on the end just laying there next to the power tubes not connected to anything, I turn the amp on and the fan does not move...is this the fan wire that is not hooked up? I really should not have to deal with these problems with a week old amp that cost this much. any help I appreciate..Also...do you think any harm has been done to this amp because of no fan? I have been playing it everyday for hours since I got it!

2. bassguy72

bassguy72

Sep 7, 2011
    Don't let this throw you my man......things happen.....send it back and get another or get yourself a heritage and be done with it......and no u shouldn't have to deal with this with any brand new amp......good luck to ya.....

3. jarrydee

jarrydee

Oct 22, 2011
    Michigan
    I just noticed another thing...one of the transformers (i assume that's what it is, there are 1 on each side) is buzzing when I hit notes on my bass...what the hell~!!!

4. JOE EDO

JOE EDO Supporting Member

Aug 28, 2007
    Central New York
    Let Ampeg C.S know about it. They don't like to hear these things as they pride themselves on the "flagship" model in their line up. They will make good on this for you, so no worries.

5. christw

christw Get low!

May 11, 2008
    Dayton OH
    I want to be Tesla (tinkerer at Dayton Amp Co)
    Yep, hit up Ampeg's customer service. hodgy works for Ampeg and might be able to help out too.

6. jarrydee

jarrydee

Oct 22, 2011
    Michigan
    thanks man...the bad thing is that American musical supply where I bought it from has NO MORE in stock until middle of September, I can not wait

7. JOE EDO

JOE EDO Supporting Member

Aug 28, 2007
    Central New York
    Let Ampeg C.S. find you one if you need it that badly. It's way too competitive in the M.I. to lose any customers to an issue like this.

8. jarrydee

jarrydee

Oct 22, 2011
    Michigan
    Ya i have 2 gigs this week and a audition for another band! I just sent an emial to ampeg CS, thanks a lot!! I knew i should have kept my other head for a while!

9. hodgy

hodgy

May 5, 2004
    Bothell, WA
    Customer Support- Ampeg/ Line 6
    Are you sure it's not black wires with a white connector? You can pull out a couple of the power tubes and see if the fan is plugged in towards the front of the amp.

10. jarrydee

jarrydee

Oct 22, 2011
    Michigan
    It is the connector for the fan! Plus this transformer buzzes like crazy (on the right when looking at the back)

11. jarrydee

jarrydee

Oct 22, 2011
    Michigan
    The wire is white and coming from the preamp part, the fan don't work so i assumed thats what it was.

12. Mr. Foxen

Mr. Foxen Commercial User

Jul 24, 2009
    Bristol, UK
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    Is the output transformer buzzing itself, like mechanically? Probably shouldn't happen with that sort of transformer. Power transformers sometimes mum a little bit, but it isn't usually something that happens with quality transformers.

13. hodgy

hodgy

May 5, 2004
    Bothell, WA
    Customer Support- Ampeg/ Line 6
    Can you take a picture?

14. jarrydee

jarrydee

Oct 22, 2011
    Michigan
    It buzzes/crackles when i play my bass, you can hear it and you can also tap on the transformer when it is buzzing and its buzz will change! Hard to explain, when i am not playing it does not buzz! Not sure if tue fan not working and me playing it many hours a day is what caused it!

15. jarrydee

jarrydee

Oct 22, 2011
    Michigan
    Yes, i will get some pics up in a little while!

16. jarrydee

jarrydee

Oct 22, 2011
    Michigan
    Ok I was wrong,it IS black wires with a white connector. Just got off the phone with american musical and there is nothing they will do but refund my money witch will take a week to hit my debit card..so I am stuck with either no amp and no money or a broken amp, I have 2 gigs this week plus an audition.
    think I am done with AMS,. I can send it back and wait until September to get a replacement! Sorry about the rant but I am not very happy right now.

17. jarrydee

jarrydee

Oct 22, 2011
    Michigan
    yes the transformer buzzes and crackles when I hit a note on my bass, the other transformer is quiet!

18. Dude that sucks. Return it and get your money. Go down to GC and show them the quoted price. They will match that price out the door including tax, shipping, and what have you. I have found quite a few things on-line at good prices and then have had GC match them. They will even ship it to your house if you dont want to pick it up at the store.

19. jarrydee

jarrydee

Oct 22, 2011
    Michigan
    ya I think I may just swap it for something else, I got a little taste of tubes, I can live without it. I just think AMS should at least offer me something until they get what I bought back in stock, even a used open box return, I dont care, I just need an amp! If I did not need it this week I would not really be so upset, but I can not be without an amp this week! I am waiting for LOUD to open up and I will call them, they are west coast time, I am east..Lets hope they can do something, I have a GC a few miles away, couldn't they send me there to swap them out?

20. Dont know about a swap out. For the scratch a PF-350/500 is a good way to go. SVT-7pro is great as well.