Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SVT-CL or SVT-2 PRO

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by one3rd, Jul 10, 2002.

1. Svt-CL

13 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. SVT-2 PRO

13 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. one3rd

one3rd

Jul 10, 2002
    Minnesota
    Sorry to those of you that don't like either amp. Vote for the amp that you prefer and explain why. If you prefer a different amp, please don't respond.

2. Rickenbackerman

Rickenbackerman

Apr 17, 2001
    Laurel MD
    I know you said not to, but... I... can't... resist...

Find a 70's SVT!!! :)

3. arent they basically the same except the SVT2 is rackmountable and has a graphic EQ?

4. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    If you've never heard or played through a "real" SVT (early seventies), the Classic is not too bad. It's heavy but pretty loud and it gets that growly rock tone that Ampeg is known for, even in the SLM era. Try to buy used, however, as they're crazy expensive new and not worth it.

5. The SVT 2 has more driver and preamp tubes than the CL if I'm not mistaken.

6. i just checked and the svt2pro has more preamp tubes, but they both have the same amount of power amp tubes

7. I had both at one time. I liked the CL better. Simply more straight-forward. But, if you absolutely must have as much versatility as possible, get the IIPro (more EQ, knobs, buttons, bells and whistles, etc.). In the end I sold both to jump on the PschoBassGuy, Rman and Boogiebass bandwagon:D . But unfortunately my dumb ass "assumed" I could just walk down the street and buy a real SVT:mad: Wrongo!

8. The main advantage of the 2 Pro is that it's rack mountable, a little smaller, and 15 lbs. lighter. I've found the footswitch and the drive control to be handy as well.

9. Spend your time and look around for a good deal on either of them. Once you find it buy both!! I did and I don't regret it one bit. SVT 2-$550 in town, SVT CL-850 and a drive to Kentucky. Now since I broke my 2 I have the CL to use.

But if I had to choose on I would say the CL.

10. As in Paducah? In the early summer? ;)

11. Yep. Small world. Hope all is well with the CL.

Still waitin' on your CD though. PM me. :)