svt cl or vr for guitar?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by brothertupelo, Feb 28, 2014.

  1. brothertupelo

    brothertupelo Guest

    Aug 7, 2005
    i'm looking for a bass amp that can double for a guitar amp. of these two, which works better as a guitar amp?
  2. Jefff


    Aug 14, 2013

    I suppose it depends on your tone and if you use a lot of stomp boxes.

    But in the end I still think, neither.
  3. beans-on-toast

    beans-on-toast Supporting Member

    Aug 7, 2008
    When the SVT was first introduced, it was marketed as a guitar and bass amp.
  4. Jefff


    Aug 14, 2013
    It would be SUPER clean...A Twin Reverb on steroids....without the reverb.

    Some one like the Edge could probably use it as a clean foundation for an array of effects but that's about it.
  5. toomanyslurpees


    Jan 21, 2009
    Great thing about guitar amps is you can find some incredible ones that are actually pretty cheap, so I kinda feel you're going the wrong way, very expensive, not very good, when you could go quite cheap and very good. Too bad in the bass world it does seem to be spend more to get more, with exceptions, but in general.
  6. brothertupelo

    brothertupelo Guest

    Aug 7, 2005
    i'll be using it as a bass amp as well. it's just that i have to ship my guitar amp from overseas, and it won't catch up to me in time to gig with, so i need to choose one of these to double as a guitar amp for a few gigs. i have plenty of pedals, so that's not an issue, but i'm wondering which one sounds better with a guitar.
  7. beans-on-toast

    beans-on-toast Supporting Member

    Aug 7, 2008
    The VR has more tonal variation, you can use a patch cord to tie together the inputs of the two channels.

    If you wanted, you can use a guitar pre, or preamp pedal, and feed that into either the VR or CL power amps.
  8. Vintagefiend

    Vintagefiend I don't care for 410 cabinets at all.

    Aug 6, 2013
    Columbia, MO
    Hmmm...I'm a VR fan, but for guitar...The CL has a gain knob.

    They don't have a V4 you can use??
  9. JimmyM


    Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I would use either provided I had enough pedals to get some dirt because there's no way in hell you can crank power tubes in an VR using a guitar and not get arrested in 48 states. But if I had to rely on preamp distortion, I'd use the CL.
  10. Since you're a bassist as well, you get a pass for that question. gui****s blow bassists away with 50w. My SVT with guitar experience is zero but Jimmy plays both and owns both. Effects ftw for sure.
  11. Shardik


    May 24, 2011
    Halden, Norway
  12. okcrum

    okcrum in your chest Supporting Member

    Oct 5, 2009
    Verde Valley, AZ
    RIP Dark Horse strings
    Yes, Alaska and Hawaii (but only atop a mountain and pointed straight up) excepted, maybe Vintagefiend's call on the V4 is better. Depends on all the usual factors, genre, guitars, FOH, ...
  13. A 300 Watt tube power fully cranked guitar ? Wow. I guess this will kill all birds and dogs in your county :)
  14. I'd go with the CL because it has a master and a gain control.You can crank the gain like on a guitar amp for some warmth or a bit of crunch and drop off the master so you're not rattling the foundation of your venue . Still , it's seems to me to be a bit too much for a guitar. I have used mine with the master cut way back for some 12 string solo stuff but I don't know how well it would work in a band situation.