1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SVT CL polarity switch

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by doomloop, Jul 21, 2012.

1. doomloop

doomloop

Mar 1, 2011
    Portland, OR
    Thanks for the help on the impedance issue....my rig sounds great! :D

Now...there's the polarity switch on the back which seems to have three positions....is it okay to leave it in the neutral. center spot? I get no hum regardless of which spot but just thought I'd ask if there is a preferred setting if there are no hum issues.

I'm going to be playing through a huge generator at an outdoor show today :cool:...I know I should have a conditioner but don't yet...any advice?

2. doomloop

doomloop

Mar 1, 2011
    Portland, OR
    Just read up on generators...skipping the SVT rig and going for my 4x10 and solid state head...I ain't taking no chances....

3. jarrydee

jarrydee

Oct 22, 2011
    Michigan
    I just got my SVT CL and have been just leaving it in the middle/neutral position. I don't think it matters unless there is hum, but I would like to know for sure also!

Good call on NOT using the SVT with a generator...I know I wouldn't!

4. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    oddly, most tube amps are more tolerant of goofy power than solid state...... but I can surely understand not wanting to play it in that situation ................in case of something truly obnoxious happening.

5. jastacey

jastacey Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2009
    Houston,Tx
    It really depends on the type of generators, if it's the 8-15 HP ( 6000 watt tp 15000 watt ), the regulators are so...so, the sine wave when you look at it on a scope, has small pulses from the single cylinder engines and the Hz is always dancing around ... your bigger generators, the ones that are mounted on a trailer and diesel powered are a different story .... those have very good power, most of the times it's better than whats off of a pole/utility as a side-note check your grounds .... take a multi-meter and check the voltage .... me, I won't hook any of my equipment to the smaller generators, the larger generators 15 KVA and up you shouldn't have a problem