1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SVT CL questions.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Floyd Eye, Mar 7, 2013.

1. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    I notice the XLR on the back says "Transister/Bal". Then there is a preamp out which is a 1/4" jack. I assume the XLR is before the pre and the 1/4" is after. For sending a signal to the board, which of these do I use?

Not that I need tubes yet, but when the time comes is it safe to assume that I can just put matched sets in and bias it with the screws on back? How are the sets arranged?

Sorry for the stupid questions, but it's my first one. :)

2. jastacey

jastacey Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2009
    Houston,Tx
    I'd use the XLR to the board, because it is a low noise connection, the power tube work in a push-pull fashion in groups of 3

Here is the Ampeg view of Biasing the amp, there is a different way of doing it, but you'll need test equipment ( tone generator, big resistor bank, oscilloscope, multi-meter)

3. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    If i recall correctly, the DI is a preamp feed. If you use the preamp out jack you'll cut signal to the power amp (i think, this of this jack as more of an effects loop).

Yeah, for power tubes just drop them in and bias with the screws on te back following the instructions in the manual. The tubes are arranged like bowling pins in groups of three, left and right triads.

4. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    No manual, but I will download one.

Thanks for the info guys.