Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

svt-cl tone through schroeder? help!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Uncle Amos, Aug 30, 2005.

1. Uncle Amos

Uncle Amos

Sep 3, 2004
    I have an Ampeg SVT-CL head with 810E cab, but am in need of something a bit.....smaller?

My current gigs consist of mainly church worship music along with my garage bands with friends, and I was figuring on a schroeder 1210 or 1212 not only for less volume, but for more portability and less strain on my back. Plus, I don't see myself playing any stadiums or large venues in the near future...

I wanted to ask you guys if I would be able to get my beloved svt tone out of a schroeder 1210 or 1212. I have heard that ampeg's tone lies in the speakers, so i need to know if A)Schroeders can give me my tone in the first place, and B) if they can, which cab would be better? and also, would the 12's in those cabs be suitable for my fat, grindy(?) svt tone, or should i spend a bit more and shoot for the 410?

I NEED HELP! :help: thanks!

2. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Bergantino NV610. Much smaller than an Ampeg 810, much lighter than an Ampeg 810, and sounds even better than an Ampeg 810. Nothing against Shroeders, but the Berg NV series are just MADE for tube amps.

3. Uncle Amos

Uncle Amos

Sep 3, 2004
    thanks for the input, i'll check it out. I'd prefer something a bit smaller, though.

thanks!

4. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    I hear you, and it is definitely not a tiny cab, but I find it pretty managable at 98 lbs (less than most 4-10s) and with tilt back casters. If you do end up getting a Shroeder, let us know how it sounds with that head. I'm very curious.

5. the dude

the dude Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2004
    Indy
    +1 on the NV.

If you like the 810E sound, you'll get much closer with the NV610.

6. Uncle Amos

Uncle Amos

Sep 3, 2004
    are you saying i won't get the tone i want out of a schroeder? i'd prefer to know before i buy.... :meh:

7. the dude

the dude Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2004
    Indy
    Not at all. My comment was only that to my ears the NV610 sounds more like the 810E than the Schroeder 1210/1212.

Only your ears know for sure what tone you want...

8. Uncle Amos

Uncle Amos

Sep 3, 2004
    ahh yes, you're right. I was just curious to see if anyone had experience with this combination.

It would be nice if there was somewhere i could try this out before i buy, or at least buy a used schroeder so i can just turn around and sell it if it doesn't work for me.

thanks!