Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SVT-CL volume?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ubernaut, Sep 13, 2004.

1. ubernaut

ubernaut

Apr 10, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Just got an Ampeg SVT-CL to finally play out of my 8x10. Its used and in very good condition. The tubes seem to be working properly and the biasing looks good. I was just wondering where most people have their volume at. I've got mine at 75% with the gain at a little less than half and it doesnt blow my mind like I heard it would. I mean its loud but not bone shattering. I play hard rock in a three piece band. Where do most other rock players have their volume? It may be a tube problem or maybe an ailing pickup on my EB-3.....

2. I noticed that too. At the store, I heard to turn it up a lot to get it relatively loud, like before five it wasnt loud at all, but then it climeb really fast after that. But, that may be because I forgot to let the tubes warm up. Oops!

3. My SVTCL is about 9 months old i have the master volume on about 3 to 4 and its very loud. The important thing is turning up the input gain, i play an active Musicman connected into the normal input and i have my input gain at about 6,7 or even 8. I get great growl tone.

I also set my eq as this : Ultra high in, Ultra low out, bass at 7 Mid selector @ 4, mid @ 10 ( 1.6khz makes the amp very punchy ) and treble at 6.

Ive tried it various ways and this works the best for my rock finger style.

I suggest you turn up your input gain at least to 5 and connect into the normal input and use your ears to judge the tone.
    It takes about 30mins to really warm up and sound its best, i spent ages with the amp getting the sound i love.

If still a problem change over the 6 off power valves as this could be the problem but check above first as they can last years

mart

4. i have my gain at 6-7 for clean tones and master at around 5 on my V4. having the gain set lower results only in lo lo lo volume for me.
    even with the master at max, i need to put the gain at 6 to get it going.

5. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    At one time I used the same exact head/cab you're now using. Great tone, congrats. :cool:

I wasn't too impressed with the overall volume, either. :confused: An SLM tech recommended that I run the 'master' wide open and use the 'gain' control for my overall volume. I can't say IMO it really helped that much. The tech told me:'That's how you run an original SVT.' I cracked back: 'I wish I owned an original SVT! :p '

Let's hope that Psycho Bass Guy, King Of Amps, or Ampeg Insider respond to this thread. I'm sure they can offer some good advice on how to get earthshaking volume from your set-up.

Best regards, Art.

6. I don't think telling him to get a vintage SVT is going to help him. ;)

7. You didn't! :D

8. I had the CL (and a 2Pro) for several years. I did not experience any volume problems. I mostly just felt like the tone was "blunt".

The best way to know what's up is to test the output with the right meters. Never had my CL tested but my '73 SVT registers 306 (IIRC) or so watts before clipping. I'm running 6550 Svets.

9. I've got my gain on 5 and my master barely hits 2-1/2 or 3 and I'm almost too loud. That amp should be loud as all get out. I did read that if the preamp tubes are going that will cut the output volume. I play hard rock as well and I'm going up against 50 and 100 watt Marshall 1/2 stacks and I can easily bury them both if I want. I play a jazz with both pickups wide open and I use a pick. I have both the hi and lo boost on, my bass set at 8, my mid and hi @ 7 and my variable mid @ 4. Works for me and I cut thru pretty well. I let my amp warmup on standby for at least a minute and turn the standby on when we take a break. That will also help you keep down the wear and tear on the tubes.

Of course there is nothing like a 70's SVT thru an 8x10. I did a plug and play gig one night and the rig they had was an early 70's SVT and a new 8x10. Let me say that gig didn't suck for me!!! Felt like the earth was moving

10. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    A weak tube amp may have weak tubes in it.........

Power tubes, even 6550s, can be weak, even though they last a longer time than many people think.

Weak outputs will not sound normal but clip earlier, they generally start to sound "soft", sort of "gumming" the sound instead of biting.

You can measure the output and a decent tech will spot weak tubes, because they will generally have more distortion and require more drive, even if they can reach full power.

Before someone explains again how long tubes really last, there are a number of things that can kill them faster.

Running 2 ohms on the 4 ohm tap is one.

Another is a bias error or problem that lets the tube plates get red hot. That often permanently reduces the emission and makes the tube "soft".

11. Along with what Ampeg Insider said, the amp could be biased too cold which would not allow the output section to develop full power.

12. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    Yep, that too.

13. ubernaut

ubernaut

Apr 10, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Hmmmm....all very interesting. I would end all the sleepless nights but its a long drive and a $75 "just to take a look" fee at the amp place. Well, last night at practice I let the damn thing warm up for about 15 min., put the gain at 3.5 and the master at like 8.5. Not too bad. Next practice Ill try running the master wide open and adjust gain accordingly and I'll try turning the gain up and the master down. I just want a clean loud beating.....and then I step on the Big Muff....

14. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    Oh yeah, I did :D . I still mean it, too. One day, I hope to find one as clean as yours :cool: .

-Art