SVT-CL vs AD200

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by heath_r_91, Aug 18, 2009.

1. heath_r_91

heath_r_91

Jun 3, 2006
    Topeka Area, Kansas
    Endorse:Artus-Basshanger-Dava-EC-Hartke-Orange-InEarz-SHS-Tigi
    Sorry if this has been clearly covered before but I've been searching for a while now and haven't found anything like this.

I'm wanting to know how you all think the SVT-CL and the Orange AD200 Bass Mark III compare.

Tone wise, portability, perceived volume, reliability, etc.

Any help and personal stories would be greatly appreciated!

2. akaTRENT

akaTRENT

Jan 10, 2009
    New Jersey
    there are der threads about this heath. basically the orange is orangy and the svtcl is ampegy.

My two sense. I LOVE the ad, but ended up going for the cl because it works better and for more applications that the orange would.

Orange has this fuzzy grit to it. the ampeg is that ballsy svt "round sound" where is bill and jimmy rbonner when you need them, and then that guy mark is good for the orange, id say more but im tired. I hope this made sense. if not free bump..

Anyway if i had the choice, id take both, but i think ampeg blends better.

So to address your stuff.
    My svt is built like a tank, but as with any highend head you should really get a case for it.
    It only crapped out once but that was because it needed new tubes ( i bought it used). It didnt fully crap out, i turned it back on and it wasnt as clear but it worked.
    So yes it is extremely reliable.
    Portabilty... you need two people.

3. They are pretty different amp heads man, comparing ampegs and oranges there :smug:

4. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    The 'peg is definitely louder, although my personal preference is for the Orange tone.

5. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    I see what you did there....

The AD is definitely more fuzzy IMO. When I tried it out, I thought the sound was good, but I didn't feel like it would work for me. I like my ampegs, very punch, can get gritty when cranked, but isn't always dirty. To me, the orange sounded fuzzy all the time. I'd rather put a pedal out front and be able to turn the dirt on and off.

6. Better dirt from the Orange, looks amazing, much rarer, VERY VERY loud...despite what anyone says, lighter, and overall just damn cool.

If you turn up with the Orange, the tone and looks alone turns heads.

7. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    Not saying it's not loud (I play a V4, so I know you can get volume from 4 6550's) but the newer versions only really put out about 170 to 180 watts. Compared to 300 watts from the SVT, you've got less head room with the orange, especially if you're looking for less dirt.

8. "Better" is a bit speculative.

I've always found oranges a bit "wooly and fuzzy" for my liking. Just missing out the balls of the SVT :bassist: :p

9. heath_r_91

heath_r_91

Jun 3, 2006
    Topeka Area, Kansas
    The reason I'm wanting a tube amp is so I can just plug straight in and get a mellow distortion.

I'm leaning toward the Orange since they have already backed my band and since it isn't far from being half of the weight of an SVT.

I'm competing with a CRANKED Orange guitar stack, shouldn't the AD200 be able to keep up with it's guitar amp competitors?

As I said, I'm not looking for super clean tones at all. I have my SVT-4 PRO for that. I'm looking for some of that tube overdrive.

If I brought an AD200 into guitar center do you think they would allow me to do a side by side comparison of the Orange and the SVT?

Thanks a bunch for all of your help so far!

10. kraigo

kraigo

Jun 21, 2007
    Minneapolis, MN
    I'd have to have a compelling reason to buy the Orange. The SVT-CL will always have better name recognition and therefore retain it's value better (or at least be easier to sell). I would have to be sure that the Orange suited me better (by a healthy margin) before I'd put down the plastic on it. Ties go to the SVT.

KO

11. heath_r_91

heath_r_91

Jun 3, 2006
    Topeka Area, Kansas
    How punchy is the Orange?

That's what I LOVE, extremely punchy with quite a bit of high end zing (not harsh tweeter zing, though).

Would the Orange be able to give me that sound with my Stingray do you think?

As far as retaining it's value, I'm not too worried about the future value since we have the sponsorship/endorsement. Everywhere I have seen a used AD200 the price it sold at was much higher than our artist price.

Thanks a bunch for all of the input here!

12. Don't know if I totally agree with that. Orange is very well known, and in the US especially, they are rarer than Ampegs, so they'll cost more and retain more of the value than the relatively common 'peg.

Tho I must admit, I'd be more worried about finding the right amp than worry about selling it :p

13. heath_r_91

heath_r_91

Jun 3, 2006
    Topeka Area, Kansas
    I couldn't agree more!

Just like when I buy a car, I don't buy it with the intention of selling it later. I buy it intending to drive it until it dies. :ninja:

14. kraigo

kraigo

Jun 21, 2007
    Minneapolis, MN
    I turn over gear often enough that I always buy with the calculus of how much I'll lose in mind. My gear doesn't usually die - I often sell it. Why? Because I can't get to know a piece of gear in the shop. I'll take my best shot at it, but it often doesn't work out.

To each their own.

KO

15. heath_r_91

heath_r_91

Jun 3, 2006
    Topeka Area, Kansas
    Is the Orange a good amp to get really punchy tones with?

16. Thats why I dont buy amps new, I get a feel of what I like by playing different supplied backlines at gigs & rehersal rooms, trying them in shops and such. And if I find something I like, I buy it used :smug:

17. Tim1

Tim1

Sep 9, 2005
    New Zealand
    If you have the opportunity I would at least compare the CL to the VR. To my ears the VR is a little cleaner/more headroom before it breaks up. Mind you, you may prefer the extra gain control on the CL so that you can get some breakup earlier from the preamp stage.

18. Orange as a company in the UK is winning awards for business excellence almost every year. Their customer service is very good. I asked for a corner for my cab as the shop had dinged it a little....got a new one no hassle. They always email back and help out. The AD200b Mk3 was cheaper than the Ampeg SVT-CL and VR when I bought mine.

The thing is, Orange have that cool factor, and a massive following by heavy bands and lighter bands....I know Ampeg is this massive brand, but after testing a CL and VR (the new ones) I was NOT impressed, and they were A/B'ed against the AD200b.

Thing is, in the UK everyone is selling their Ampeg gear like mad....no idea whats its like over in the US. Orange seems to retain its value a lot better. Once Ampeg changed the production and basically stopped helping customers, I gave up. No problem with overseas production, but c'mon, its a must to keep customer service.

I play against 2 4x12 guitarists and a drummer in a hardcore band. It never goes above about 1/3 volume and 2/3 gain...so its crunchy but with lots and lots of volume left. It doesn't get mic'd up.

Put it this way, Orange is like Aguilar; a boutique type of amp/cab company. Ampeg is everywhere.

Go for Orange. I did, and Im really happy I did. Check out bands like Every Time I Die and Converge who have gone to Orange.

19. Over here ampeg is more expensive. Im pretty sure it is the other way in the US.

Would hardly say people are selling it like mad. I wouldnt say the number of ampeg amps im seeing for sale have increased much.

Also play in a hardcore band, and a punk band, and a metal band for that matter (but thats not done much as of yet). Never had to go past 1/4 on the volume on my peg ;) .

I stand by stating the OP needs to go and try both heads. They are opposite ends of the "tube sound" spectrum.

20. ChronicPyromaniac

ChronicPyromaniac

Jan 25, 2001
    I think that the Ampeg is probably about 1000 times easier to find, easier to get serviced, and probably a lot cheaper (especially if you buy used.)

IME

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 12, 2021