svt cl vs. svt 4

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by thelastofus, Feb 26, 2003.

1. thelastofus

thelastofus Guest

Jul 3, 2002
    Bakersfield, Ca
    today i traded in my mesa rig for a new ampeg 8x10 and an svt 3. the svt's just a loaner, i got an extended return to upgrade thing on my buy so i'm thinking of getting one of the two. so what are your guy's opinions on the two amps?
  2. thetaurus

May 28, 2002
    Muncy, PA
    i've heard of problems with the svt 4. i guess because of the internal setup, and the vents being on the side, people have had the amp fry on them when using it in bridged mode at 4 ohms. i've heard they sound great, but if you wanted to go with a solid state power section (with ampeg), i'd say get the svp pro, and a power amp. but if it were between those two you said, i would definately go with the svt cl.
  3. Come all the way over to the dark side! All-tube DOMINATION! :bassist:
  4. thelastofus

thelastofus Guest

Jul 3, 2002
    Bakersfield, Ca
    i've been on the dark side alright, 12 6l6's and 6 12ax7's. an svt cl doesn't seem so dark. i think i've made up my mind on the cl but now should i go for the standard black or the silver av?
  5. Ncognito

Ncognito Banned Commercial User

Jan 8, 2002
    Hoffman Estates, Illinois
    Owner, Xsonics Bass Cabinets
    I've had them both, and the Ampeg SVT-4 Pro was the CLEAR winner!

Flame away boys!

6. Boogie Boy

Boogie Boy

Jan 26, 2003
    Just curious...Why did you trade in your Boogie 400+ for an Ampeg? I was torn between those same amps before I bought the 400+.
  7. erikwhitton

erikwhitton Guest

Sep 20, 2002
    Portland, ME USA
    yeah - i thought the 400+ was the ultimate? what did you not like about it?

8. thelastofus

thelastofus Guest

Jul 3, 2002
    Bakersfield, Ca
    i'm really really picky about my stuff and i guess my favorite sound is ampeg. the mesa was a great amp, i wasn't exactly happy to get rid of it. it wasn't like a "good riddance crappo" or anything but i just know that what i really want is an 8x10 and cl (but now the 4's kinda getting in the picture too). the mesa's a great ballsy amp. i realized this when i compared it to the svt 3, wow that's not a very good amp (imo no offense to svt3 owners). but i just wanted that growl and warmth of an ampeg. Ncognito, what do you like more about your 4 than the cl, i'm starting to think tubes are the ONLY way to go but i'd like to not have to worry about weight, eventually replacing, warming up and all that junk..