1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SVT-CL vs. SVT III-Pro

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by EricF, Nov 9, 2006.

1. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    I've been playing with an SVT III-Pro for about a year, and I've had no problems getting plenty of volume from it. I don't dislike (nor do I love) the tone I get from the SVT III, but it lacks that all-tube warmth that is so charming. I have an opportunity to get an SVT-CL for a good price, and I'm really tempted to pull the trigger.

What are the downsides to the SVT-CL (besides that the thing weighs a ton)?

2. ABH_bassist

ABH_bassist

Feb 24, 2005
    jax beach fl.
    i purchased my first svt classic about 3 weeks ago.

i love this amp.
    yes it does weigh a ton, but nothing you and another band member cant handle.

the EQ is setup really simply, but really, ive tried, and i cant make this thing sound bad. its amazing.

im the type to crank the master and control the volume with the gain.

it is very responsive to how youre playing your bass. will get nice and buttery warm but play it hard and it sounds like its trying to bite your balls off.

ive read the svt2 pro gets close to the tone of the classic, but ther eis something missing. i dont know first hand because ive never played one.

when i purchased the cl i was going between it, an svt2, and a mesa bass 400.
    i am absolutley sure i made the right choice.

hope some of that helped

3. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

May 4, 2006
    Mount Prospect, IL
    Classic is much warmer sounding, louder and very mean at higher volumes. 3 PRO is decent, has some tube growl, and is not as loud as the Classic.

I always felt the Classic could not get the tones I wanted. I wanted more tone controls and that is why I got the 2 PRO. I feel the 2 PRO achieves a much more articulate Ampeg Tube bass tone (better control on the: lows, mids, and highs). The units sound tonally the same, but the 2 PRO can get growlier at higher volumes and can growl at lower volumes. The Classic can't growl too well until the volume is somewhat cranked - most bass players need a volume boost anyway and this really is not a big issue.

If you like the 3 PRO's Graphic EQ and all those other tone knobs, go for a 2 PRO. The Classic will be limiting tone wise.
    If you want simplistic plug & play style sound -go for the Classic.

4. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    Holy smokes, things happened fast today!

I went to check out the SVT-CL and decided to go ahead with it - man, it sounds good. It turns out that the guy I'm buying it from wants my SVTIII, so it worked out great for everyone. I'm saved the headache of trying to sell my amp (he gave me a very fair price for it) and carry a big hit to my credit card. The CL seller is saved the headache of trying to find another amp. We'll make the swap early next week. It's a good day. :D

5. I was going suggest you check out the SVT 8 but it seems you have had your problem solved. Enjoy the amp

Dan

6. Good on U- another ALL TUBE convert!!!!!!! Can't beat it!

7. ABH_bassist

ABH_bassist

Feb 24, 2005
    jax beach fl.
    welcome to the club

8. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

May 4, 2006
    Mount Prospect, IL
    Awesome deal for your old amp! Once I went all-tube, I never went back. I like that dirty thick sound - 2 PRO gets me that vintage bass tone and does awesome at the modern day bass tone. Why should I try anything else?

Enjoy the SVT-CL! With the right cab, you can kill any guitarist!

9. bstringrandy

bstringrandy Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2004
    Jacksonville, FL
    Welcome to the club!! I have one of each and would definitely haul the SVT-CL out more often if my rack with the SVTIIIPro wasn't so much more convenient for club gigs!!

The SVT-CL and the 810 cabinet get the nod any time we're outside or in very large rooms with questionable PA support.

Enjoy!! :) :)

Randy