SVT CL with which cab?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by easy, Nov 11, 2005.

1. Ampeg PR410HLF 4x10

3 vote(s)
  2. Ampeg SVT-810E

31 vote(s)
  3. other

12 vote(s)
  1. easy

Mar 16, 2005
    I just got the SVT classic which I love.

right now I'm playing it through SWR 2x10 (goliath jr) and SWR 1x15 (WM).

I'm going to buy a new cab this weekend, though. Either the ampeg PR410HLF 410 or the ampeg SVT-810E.

I know conventional wisdom suggests that the more speakers, the better.

I've played the SVT classic through the PR410HLF and I loved the sound of it. haven't had the chance to play with that head through the 810 yet.

Which do you think I should get? I know it's a matter of preference, so in that case, what do you prefer?

Also, neither of these cabs will fit in my car, so please exclude transportability from your evaluation, since they both pose a problem for me.

thanks for your input
  2. nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    A buddy of mine on another board uses one through a Bergie NV 610 and swears by it. I play my older SVT through two single 15" cabs and love that. Of the two choices you mentioned, I'd probably prefer the HLF.
  3. i have the 8x10 and that thing rocks. hard. i would DEFINITELY say go for it. its the industry standard.
  4. bstringrandy

bstringrandy Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2004
    Jacksonville, FL
    I've got both an 810 and a 410HLF. I find that the 810 just seems to match the SVT CL the best. Hard to explain, but they were made for each other....The 410HLF is a good mate for my SVTIII Pro. :)
  5. Bergantino Audio NV425 w/ the SVT This set up is SWEET :hyper:
  6. the dude

the dude Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2004
    The classic and 810 is the standard. I had the 410hlf - liked it. Got the Bergantino NV610 - love it. The 810 is cool - just to big to haul for me.
  7. Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    I agree with everyone here. I own or borrow an Ampeg SVT-810 and think it's great. I also own a Bergie NV610 and it's just as good if not better than the 810 (IMO) without all the weight and bulk.

8. Is that me? I am L. Ron over there.....:D

I looooove my NV-610. Very similar to the old 810s sonically but 70lbs lighter and a foot shorter... The Berg NV series are awesome cabs.....

I also dig the AMpeg SVT-410HLF, but I haven't used mine since I got my NV-610....
  9. Exactly. :D
  10. T. Alan Smith

T. Alan Smith

Sep 9, 2001
    How does the SVT sound with your SWR setup??? I own the Goliath Jr.III and have plans on getting the SOB(1x15) to match. Our local shop just became an Ampeg dealer, and he'd give me a very fair price on a Classic head. I figured the Classic head with the Goliath & SOB would be perfect. :meh:
  11. BadB

May 25, 2005
    Glendale, AZ
    Berg NV610 rocks.
  12. Sorry dude, I just had to say that this cracked me up. Sounds like either way you're gonna end up with a killer rig. Best of luck finding what fits you best.

13. :D

It might be time to mention that the NV-series cabs are 36"Hx24"Wx15"D. They will fit in places that the 20" deep HLF series Ampegs won't.
  14. the dude

the dude Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2004
    Yah, when I first saw the box sitting on the front porch I thought, "That's it?!? Wow!"
  15. specplyrz

specplyrz Banned

Nov 11, 2005
    810e sealed cabinet Greater punch than an SVT 410hlf which is a ported, "boomy" sounding cabinet. You need a sealed cabinet to match with the tube head. An svt classic and svt 410hlf cabinet, will IMO, be a muddy sounding setup.
  16. easy

Mar 16, 2005
    thanks for all the input, guys.

just to be clear, though, I'm not talking about the SVT 410, I'm talking about the PR410, which is a lot bigger than the SVT410, and it has the front ports. The first thing that got me curious about it is when I tried to figure out why it costs as much as the 810.
  17. Dude, im seriously not trying to start a fight with you! however, i know sealed cabs are better, but when running my SVT into a peavey cab (ported) it isnt muddy, i can however see some people saying its muddy when im using the 2x15 beast
  18. 8mmOD

Mar 20, 2005
    I endorse & use Tech 21 pedals, Eminence loaded cabs, EMG pickups, Jim Dunlop picks & Ernie Ball Strings, BC Rich Basses.
    Do you have a Guitar Center near you? As far as I know they stock both of those cabs. Take them home & use the 30 return policy to try them in a real world setting, then choose the one you think works best for you.

On a recent similar thread, the poster had tried a 610HLF & really liked it it, but then he tried an 810E and IIRC, he liked the 810E even better. So YOU will be the only one to decide which one you like better.