1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SVT Classic and the 8X10 cab?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bigbutes89, Apr 9, 2006.

1. bigbutes89

bigbutes89

Mar 6, 2006
    I just got the SVT Classic head and the SVT-810E cab last Friday and wehn i put the volume to 5 i hear this rattling noise and a clipping noise but im not sure if its clipping, is my head underpowered? Im only using 4x10, im not using the whole cab. What should i do?

2. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    Does it still rattle or clip when you use the full cab?
    Are all the speakers rattling, or just one?
    Is your pre knob set high?

3. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    The CL, much as I dislike the tone, should not be at all underpowered. Try using the whole cab. If you have radical EQ settings, you may want to flatten it out some or boost the mids. Other than that, you should not expect the CL to be a squeaky clean amp.

4. 8mmOD

8mmOD

Mar 20, 2005
    USA
    I endorse & use Tech 21 pedals, Eminence loaded cabs, EMG pickups, Jim Dunlop picks & Ernie Ball Strings, BC Rich Basses.
    First off if you are only using 1/2 that cab, its only 8 ohms. Your amp is rated for use at 4 or 2 ohms, not 8. Stop doing this now.

I'd have to hear the rattling to know better what it is. Are you using active pickups? sounds like you may be overdriving the input gain.

5. sedan_dad

sedan_dad Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2006
    Columbus,Ohio
    Why would you only use half the speakers? Don't you have to go out of your way to do that?

6. 8mmOD

8mmOD

Mar 20, 2005
    USA
    I endorse & use Tech 21 pedals, Eminence loaded cabs, EMG pickups, Jim Dunlop picks & Ernie Ball Strings, BC Rich Basses.
    No, its easy to do with the 810E cabs. But that still doesnt answer why he would want to only use 1/2 the cab with an SVT CL.

7. bigbutes89

bigbutes89

Mar 6, 2006
    I tried the whole cab, It doesnt rattle anymore! Haha i dont know why i only used half, I thought i would underpower my head. ahaha

8. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    :rolleyes:

9. mslatter

mslatter

Apr 8, 2003
    There's no problem putting an 8 ohm load in front of a 4 or 2 ohm amp. The amp rating is the minimum ohm load, not the maximum. The actual load varies considerably during use. The cabinet rating is an approximation of the minimum it will show the driving amp.

10. It's a tube amp. Different rules apply. Do a search.

11. Actually I think with a tube amp you have to be pretty specific.

12. playmybass

playmybass

Mar 28, 2004
    Tucson, Az
    So I take it youre willing to pay for a new output tranny for his amp?

13. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    There is NO such thing as underpowering a cabinet.

14. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Now that you're straightened out, the next rattling noise you'll hear is your house shaking loose when (if) you get the SVT past 12 O clock.:hyper:

Excruciatingly loud noise prevents this from happening though :)

15. If you have an active bass both the crappy distortion/clipping and quiet output would be explained by a dead battery

I had a similar experience, my SVT got retubed and i plugged in my BTB, and was like "what the hell, this is too quiet!", even with the volume all the way up, so i hit it on standby, pulled out my EDA then put the amp back on . . . fogetting volume was all the way up! (no pre gain on my SVT), and i about blew myself through the wall!

16. 8mmOD

8mmOD

Mar 20, 2005
    USA
    I am just gonna bump this up since he already figured out the problem. BTW, I think you are gonna be deaf by age 25 Mowhawk :D

"bigbutes89
    Registered User Join Date: Mar 2006

I tried the whole cab, It doesnt rattle anymore! Haha i dont know why i only used half, I thought i would underpower my head. ahaha "

17. managed to miss that post :p

and oh probably, but that time i didnt intend on doing that, i seriously forgot the volume was up and didnt think for a second it would be because of low out put from the bass! :D