1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SVT Classic damaged...worth it?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by christianharger, Feb 27, 2013.

1. Found this guy on Craigslist selling a non-working SVT head. I'm pretty sure I could get the head for $500, but it is damaged. Here is what he has to say about it in the item description:

"Was working until I had a new cabinet made for the head and in the transfer, it fails to work. I get a green light for bias 2 but nothing for bias 1. Tolex is great with a little rash hear and there. Overall very nice cosmetic condition. Comes with extra set of tubes.
    Here's a chance to pick up an awesome bass rig for a low reserve. Sold as is and no returns."

And...

"I have received many questions as to why it doesn't work. I am selling this combination as a non working unit. I can tell you this, its whole life has been matched up with an 8 by 10 Vader cabinet.
    I recently took the internal parts out of the old head box and put them in a replacement box (head)
    I tried it out in the 212e cab and got no green on the bias 1.
    I simply want to sell this as non working and let it go to someone who can fix it."

My question: does anybody know what's going on here? And would it be a huge cost to have it fixed, or would this end up being a good deal?

Thanks!

2. No smoking or blowing fuses means it should be a very good deal. Chances are good by the description that the interconnect cable was damaged and may have a bad output tube or two. Not all that expensive to get working again.

3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I could be talked into taking a chance on it for the reasons B-string 2 mentioned. And even if it costs $500 to fix in a worst case scenario, $1000 for a used CL is still decent.

4. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    Yep. I'd try to talk him down to 4 bones since it isn't working and there's no guarantee it could work, plus he won't take returns. Something tells me it'll probably be a easy enough fix (and probably relatively cheap too) given the description, but you might as well get a good deal on it if you can.

5. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    I think I saw that one also.

6. thanks guys!

I think I'm going to pass it up for now due to finances and whatnot, but it's up on eBay if anybody else wants to take their chances at a potentially awesome deal!