SVT Classic vs. Old SVT (late 70s)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Murphbass, Jan 10, 2006.

1. Murphbass

Jun 12, 2005
    Sacramento, CA
    First, I'm sorry if this has been discussed before. I tried searching through the past posts, but there is a lot of discussion about SVTs!

I'm looking to buy either a new SVT Classic or used (76-79) SVT head. Does anyone have an opinion one way or the other? Basically, I'd like the classic tone that only an SVT can provide. Reliability is also an issue. Is there a way to test an old model to make sure it's in good shape (other than just playing it full on, trying pots, etc.)?

Thanks for the info!
  2. Generally most people agree that older SVT heads are the best, im not sure when they started changing the configuration of the preamps, but 69-74/75 seem to be the best SVT years :)

The older SVT's used a different preamp circuit that consisted of 12DW7's, but now it uses 12AX7's, i think the change over occured in the 80's when there was little in the way of 12DW7 tubes, but im not sure

One thing to say about reliability, if its been going fine for the last 30 years, why should it randomly stop dead now?

Even if there is a problem with it, these things are fixable (just ask "Tim Cole" , poor guys had to replace about everything in his vintage SVT!)

Anyways, the original SVT heads sound completelly different (and better imo) than the newer ones, better by a long shot, however, let me direct you to this thread, you may be in luck :)

Theres rumors that ampeg are making a new SVT that is essentially the same as the Vintage SVT's!

Hope that helps !
  3. gamera

Sep 20, 2004
    Gloucester, MA
    The SVT classic doesn't sound like an old SVT, that being said it is a good sounding amp. No where near the character of the older SVT's.