1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SVT Classic vs original SVT?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by RoyArnott, Feb 5, 2016.

Tags:
  1. What are the main differences between an SVT Classic and an original 70's or 80's SVT?

I've owned a Classic and absolutely loved it.

2. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    The SVT-VR is closely based on the original, the CL is a one channel revision.

The VR is $2199, the CL is $1799, so the difference is $400.

SVTVR_OM.pdf

SVTCL_OM.pdf

3. While I absolutely appreciate this info, I really am asking about the originals compared to a Classic,more specifically a pre-Vietnam CL. Sorry, should have been more specific. I tend to buy vintage or used anyway. If it's been around for 20 years or more and it's still kickin, chances are it'll kick for another 20. Maybe that's pretty bad logic, but it works for me.

Also, I'm interested in if people have played both of these amps and what the general consensus is between the two.

4. I see you have a '71 SVT...Would you care to share some thoughts?

5. lfmn16

lfmn16 SUSPENDED Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    The search engine is your friend. I had the same question and was able to find many threads on this subject.

6. beans-on-toast

Aug 7, 2008
    I own a '71, have owned a VR and have played through a CL, both the regular classic and the Heritage. The original SVT and the VR sound and perform pretty much the same.

In terms of construction they are different. The VR is designed for ease of manufacturing and servicing. The current amps use different small tubes that the original so there are minor component changes to make the different tubes work. This isn't a big deal. The modern amps use 12AX7 and 12AU7 small signal tubes. They are more readily available than the 12DW7 and 6C4. The 6C4 is not a current production tube, only new old stock is available. The transformers are no longer made in the US. The replacements are good. Some people have installed a US made Heyboer power transformer. As I recall, the pre Vietnam models had US made transformers. You might want to have someone confirm that. The current CL circuit boards have been redone, the boards are thicker and better made.

The Heritage and the current CL are the same amp. The difference is in the quality control and the tubes. The Heritage 810E sounds better than the regular 810E. The speakers are different. The Heritage 810E is simply the best sounding 810 that I've played through.

If you turn up the master on the CL and use the gain to set the level, the CL and the vintage amp will sound pretty much the same. Otherwise, the differences in the tone stages are outlined in the manuals above.

anderbass, Mastermold and One Drop like this.
  7. I did a search before I posted, as I figured there would be. Found lots of threads about comparing different SVTs, but not these two in particular. I suppose I didn't search deep enough. My bad. I'm new, don't hate me:)

8. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    I believe Jerrold said the OTs went from USA to Mexico to Asia around the same time that they did the full overseas move. The US manufacturer (EWI?) declined to continue making transformers at their current rates which is what lead to the move.

beans-on-toast likes this.
  9. beans-on-toast

Aug 7, 2008
    Yes, that's it, initially Electrical Windings, then Schumacher Transformer, eventually Asia. The Japanese SVT's had transformers from Taiwan as I recall.

10. That's a nice tidy summary of more than a few TB threads!

freedomryder and beans-on-toast like this.