Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SVT Classic with two Agi 1x12s?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BassGreaser, Dec 30, 2002.

1. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    what do you guys think of running an Ampeg SVT Classic tube head with two Aguilar 1x12s?

2. The danged head would weigh more than the cabs! But why not?

More importantly, what do YOU think of the idea?

3. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    Besides the 8 10's that thier used with that head wieghs more than any cab its used with.

;)

it would Probally sound great

AJ

4. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    Endorsing Artist: Sadowsky Guitars
    As I never miss an opportunity to post about Aguilar :oops: ...

I run two Aguilar GS112's with my DB750 (750 watts into the twin Aggies' 4 ohms) for my "small" rig. I get the master up to about 3 before it's just too loud, and not a hint of farting (or should that be a whiff?).

You'll go far with Aguilar.

5. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    right now I have two EA CxL-110's, but I think those might be too hi-fi for the head. But it might give me a mid-fi, if that makes any sense

6. I use an SVT II Pro (which is bassically the same thing) through an Aguilar GS 112 and an SWR Son of Bertha 115. It's definately not loud enough, and I fing it unbelievable that a 300 watt tube amp can't produce enough volume. I usually turn the gain up about a quarter of the way, (any more and the peak LED light starts going crazy), and the master volume almost three quarters of the way up if I need to play loud. Needless to say, there is not much head room to work with, and I'm getting tired of dragging a 70 lb. head with me.

7. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    Well it IS only a 300 watt head.

8. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    will it is Tube watts..whatever that means

9. Come on guys. Everyone is always talking about how tube watts sound so much louder that solid state watts. I'm willing to bet that my SVT II Pro would be much much louder, with an 810.

10. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I agree.. I played my FBB 5er through the SVT Classic, and A/B it with Ampegs Svt 4x10hlf and the 8x10. Both were LOUD.

11. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    A watt is a watt regardless of the plumbing. Everyone is always talking about tube watts "sounding" louder because as you reach maximum output tubes will emphasize the mids, which the ear is most sensitive to, while SS amps will start to sound like poo. A tube amp will only sound louder if you're willing to tread into distortion territory. If you're talking clean sounds, then it is a wash.

Secondly, I think Jacob hit the nail on the head when he mentioned the 810. IMO, pushing 300 watts through a 12 and a 15 simply isnt going to sound as loud as through a wall of 10's.

Finally, it doesn't seem right that the pre should clip at only 1/4 of the way up. Maybe there's something wrong with the head?

12. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    Endorsing Artist: Sadowsky Guitars
    All this tube/ss stuff would be moot if all you cats would just go the "hybrid" route and buy an Aguilar DB750 :D . 750 watts into 4 ohms, 975 watts :eek: into 2 ohms. Tube tone with solid state reliability...can't be beat IMHO.

A watt may be a watt, but how amplifier companies rate their amps is another story. Some are conservative in their ratings, most are not.

13. I think I may be going that route myself, Craig. The more I think about it, the more I feel like an all tube amp just wouldn't give me the sound that I'm after. I may end up getting a seperate preamp and power amp.

14. PICK

PICK

Jan 27, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    A tube amp and a solid state amp of the same power will be just as loud UNTIL clipping occurs. This is where tube amps come into their own, they sound decent when clipped where as ss amps simply distort and sound bad.
    Yes, your SVT II Pro would sound louder through an 810. Why??? More speaker cone area. It also depends on the efficiency of the speaker cabinet too. An inefficient cabinet, such as an Acme Low B 410 will not sound any where near as loud and, say, an Eden 410XLT when powered by the same amp because the acme cab is alot less efficient. Im not saying the Acme will sound bad, it just wont be as loud.