1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SVT Clone?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by theleveebreaks, Apr 15, 2006.

1. I've noticed, in the world of guitar amps, there is always a reproduction or a copy of an old design (new amps that are built to old say Marshall Super Leads or Vox AC30's original designs). Are there any companies that do an original schematic Ampeg SVT at all? The price of vintage SVT's is still rising from what I can tell, and I'm sure a clone would be cheaper than a vintage one (and be in better condition). Any clones you guys know about available for sale or is it a no go?

Thanks a lot!

2. 8mmOD

8mmOD

Mar 20, 2005
    USA
    I endorse & use Tech 21 pedals, Eminence loaded cabs, EMG pickups, Jim Dunlop picks & Ernie Ball Strings, BC Rich Basses.
    Yes, its called the Ampeg SVT-VR and should be available in stores soon. :)

3. ICI

ICI

Mar 8, 2006
    i'm not sure they will be cheaper than an original SVT. i still see originals go for $1200 to $1500. divided by thirteen makes one that is two hundred watts. never heard one or seen a price, but i'm guessing that it'd be more than an original as well.

4. 8mmOD

8mmOD

Mar 20, 2005
    USA
    I endorse & use Tech 21 pedals, Eminence loaded cabs, EMG pickups, Jim Dunlop picks & Ernie Ball Strings, BC Rich Basses.
    You have seen mint condition vintage SVTs for $1200? :eyebrow:

I believe street on the VR will be about $1499, which includes the standard 5 year warranty. $1500 is about the lowest price I have seen on ebay recently for a vintage SVT in "very good condition. But just because it states that in the description doesn't mean its true... IOW, it may look pretty, but need work. I actually own a mint condition '74 stocked with NOS tubes & I paid less than $1499 for it, but its very unusual to find that type of deal these days. Not impossible, just unusual.

But if you dont care about cosmetics and are willing to take a chance that it may need work, you definately will be able to find a vintage SVT for less than $1499.

5. The Lurker

The Lurker

Aug 16, 2002
    Ankh-Morpork

I dunno about mint ones, but there's a couple on Ebay right now for the $1000 range.

6. 8mmOD

8mmOD

Mar 20, 2005
    USA
    Those heads will close well above $1000, guaranteed. ;)

7. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Origional SVT in good condition goes from $1200-2000+ depending on year and seller. SVT-VR has a list price of $2800 I think. Which comes down to more than $2000 street probabally. It costs more than the CL and 2-Pro which is $1500 and about $1700 I believe. Take a look at the price on the 70s SVT at Low Down Sound. $1200.
    http://www.lowdownsound.com/usedgear.htm

8. sedan_dad

sedan_dad Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2006
    Columbus,Ohio
    Cl's are over the place at $900 +/- $100.
    Do they (the CL) sound that much different than the old SVT's? I mean we are not talking about a Hi-Fi amp here.

9. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Very different. Try both (if you can find em).

10. 8mmOD

8mmOD

Mar 20, 2005
    USA
    Yes & the VR sounds different from the CL too. I haven't a/b'd the VR with my '74, but I did a/b the VR with a CL at NAMM & the result sounded a lot like when I a/b my CL with the '74 before I bought it.

11. 8mmOD

8mmOD

Mar 20, 2005
    USA
  12. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    I think the V9 was designed to work as both a guitar and bass amp.

13. ICI

ICI

Mar 8, 2006
    I actually bought one for $1,100.00 a year ago. However, it's not, "mint" condition.

14. 8mmOD

8mmOD

Mar 20, 2005
    USA
    The V9 is a guitar amp. It has a different preamp than the SVT, a distortion channel & reverb. But there are also late 70's SVTs that say "V9" on the back chassis, however thats only because the V9 & SVT shared that particular chassis at that particular time. A common misconception is that there was an actual SVT V9 Bass amp.

15. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Didn't Ampeg at one point make an amp for both guitar and bass though? I think it was to compete with a Fender that was designed for both guitar and bass. Maybe I'm just imagining things :rolleyes:

16. hasbeen

hasbeen Commercial User

Sep 23, 2004
    Vice President, KMC Music. Warwick U.S. distribution, Ampeg distribution
    just a heads up on the one on the bay- never buy an amp with rusted transformers. They could very well be totalled.

17. I remember seeing a 71 SVT and 73 810 cab in mint condition go for £750 together on ebay . . . god if only i had a way to get to london and had money i would have nailed that :(

18. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    I have not seen any SVT clones, but I did see a boutique built Sunn 2000s clone once. It was priced at $1100, a fair amount MORE than a good Sunn. This was about 6 years ago. I can't imagine any shop building an SVT clone with a selling price of under $1500. The reason for the clones in the guitar amp world, is based on the price of originals. A Marshall Plexi/Vox AC30 is WAY more expensive than even the best clones. Honestly, a vintage Ampeg isn't all that expensive for what your getting. I still run into them around $1000. (not mint, but palyable condition )

19. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    HUGE difference!

I got mine for $700 and spent $130 on repairs. Its a 1971.